Morecambe Bay Cycle Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
Lune path north of Condor Green was flooded on Saturday (yesterday) but you could get through on the parallel path. Quite a few people walking and cycling the path. Cafe at Condor Green was open yesterday as well.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes that short stretch near Aldcliffe is still flooded but is easily bypassed, I’ve checked most of the rest of the route up to Milnthorpe and across the foot of the Lythe Valley. Only bit ive not got to is the path at Greenodd and the road past the golf course at Grange.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
@shnjmsn I'd say do the detour up through Aldcliffe, past the canal into Lancaster, down Brock St (LH turn straight after a railway bridge), up past the castle (RH turn at the end of Dallas Rd, then a left up the cobbled hill)... it's an impressive castle!... then down Long Marsh Lane and onto the cycle track (RH turn before the road goes under the railway bridge)... which rejoins the official BCW at the Millenium Bridge (or the #fark off# bridge as some of us call it, due to its two upright 'fingers' :P )

This potential detour, which i plotted the wrong way round, from Lancaster to Glasson :blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
Cheers all. Checked the map and we're good to go. Will decide on the detour when we get there but divert to Aldcliffe into Lancaster looks to be a good shout if we need it ! I've seen the Fark off Bridge on Google Maps , so I know what to look our for :laugh:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Hope you enjoy it. Went that way this morning and saw two cyclists pass through the water, I took the dry route! Here’s a picture from today of the Bay From Hest Bank looking toward Grange over Sands to whet your appetite.

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
Back for a couple of days, been meaning to update on the ride but still on holiday from work and as the weather is nice down south this week, then the bike takes preference :okay:

We had a great time, all the info on the last few pages was very helpful, along with the GPS links that I got onto the Garmin which proved to be very helpful in places........... The signage in parts wasn't great, with a couple of points where there were no signs at all ! So thanks everyone for your helpful hints and tips, it helped us no end over the weekend for sure !!

Stayed at the Mill at Conder Green....... great place, good rooms, good service, nice beers ! We left the car there too so it saved us a few quid on parking the car and was safer too for sure. Gravel at the start up to the flooded road......... We thought we'd brave it on the way out.......... yep, it was still flooded !!!! Did the top path on the way back........ muddy and busy as it was Sunday afternoon but far less wet :smile::smile:

We stayed at a hotel just on the A590 near Haverthwaite. A great place with secure bike parking, good food, good service, just a general lack of nice beers...... About the only down side ! Saturday we went from there to the end of the path at Walney Island and back again. Sunday we left the hotel and travelled back down to Glasson Dock.

We loved Arnside and Ye Olde Fighting Cocks...... great pub, great beer and food......... Could probably have just stayed there all afternoon on the way up and the way back !

Weather was reasonably kind to us........ plenty of tailwind and headwind. We almost rode all of Morecambe prom and up to Hest Bank without actually pedalling ! Headwind was strong from Ulverstone around the coast to Barrow......... Swings and roundabouts I guess ! Really not much rain, just a few soakings but short showers and soon dried up.

For me on the Roubaix the worst bit of road/track was from Haverthwaite to the dual carriageway....... Wet stones, rocks, grass mud and puddles. But it was only a mile or so, really not much of an issue. The endurance 28's held up well considering ! Overall, bikes and bags held up well, no mechanicals which is a result.......

For two soft southerners, there were more hills than we'd read or heard about. Approx. 10,000 feet from end to end and back. Maybe Cycle.Travel are a bit ambitious to say beginners can do it on hybrid bikes ! :blink::bicycle: Not sure I'd want to take a beginner with me on a hybrid to do the whole thing.......... Parts of it for sure, the start to Grange over Sands maybe ! Good for families/beginners alike on the right bikes.........

Here's a few pics we took along the way ^_^^_^

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
We didn't make it to the beer garden, sat inside out of the wind !!!!!! :smile: Great village though, was quiet on Friday lunchtime but very busy on Sunday morning with a lot of cars and cyclists about !

geocycle

Legendary Member
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reporting back. The wind round here can be a pain so glad it behaved for you. The flooding is still there, only about 4 inches deep now so rideable with care. I actually met a couple of guys about to go into it and warned them, the bikes looked similar to your set ups? Wondered if it was you two.

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
Hmmmm............. Possible !!!!! Was that on Sunday ? We didn't see anyone on that bit of road on Friday heading towards Lancaster, but there were people around on Sunday........ Can't remember who we spoke to now 😄 We rode up to the waters edge and changed our minds and rode back to the upper path entrance ! I only remember a guy towing a bike trailer.................. !

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For two soft southerners, there were more hills than we'd read or heard about. Approx. 10,000 feet from end to end and back.

I'm pleased to see you enjoyed yourselves, some nice pics there reminding me of the many times I've ridden in the general area. Please don't misunderstand me as I know geography varies widely but in this part of the world the Bay Cycleway would be considered a flat ride with a couple of climbs!! I'm not sure of the actual climbing on the route though my RWGPS copy shows 3400 feet. It's interesting to learn how visitors perceive one's local area.

OP
OP
shnjmsn

shnjmsn

Über Member
Agreed Paul........ Different terrains I guess ! I'm on the Somerset levels so have to ride 15 miles to find a hill even ! :laugh: Still, it's great to go to another part of the country to ride for sure ! I'll definitely do it again, though that ride is out of my system now so it may be another year or two !

Top Bottom