Morning all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snakehips

Hello and welcome Merlin

and

CCardRedIn.jpg

mondobongo

Über Member
Hi Merlin welcome to the Mad Place.

longers

Legendary Member
Hello Merlin :smile:.

You mention on a different thread about having dog trouble. I can heartily recommend Jan Fennell's books. I've read the Dog Listener and it has some excellent advice but she has also written "The Practical Dog Listener" and I've heard from someone that has done her training courses that this is an even better book.

As you were, back to cycling chat :thumbsup:.

papercorn2000

SO, do you think that the Sheriff of Nottingham got a raw deal in the films made on the subject? Was he merely trying to enforce an unpopular taxation regime in the face of the actions of a bunch of layabout outlaws (with good PR) who did bugger all except rob people and hang about wearing tights and spiriting princesses away?

OP
OP
merlinmagic

merlinmagic

longers said:
Hello Merlin :smile:.

You mention on a different thread about having dog trouble. I can heartily recommend Jan Fennell's books. I've read the Dog Listener and it has some excellent advice but she has also written "The Practical Dog Listener" and I've heard from someone that has done her training courses that this is an even better book.

As you were, back to cycling chat :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the tip. We have a dog behaviour person coming over to the house tomorrow. Main things we have problems with are barking, chewing paper/mail/cardboard/shoes and anything within reach and also making a mad dash for freedom and running around the estate whenever the door is opened.

He's only a pup (8 months) but need to do something about it as he has already chewed through the power cable to the Nintendo Wii, my wife's passport, daughter's shoes, my cycle helmet and an assorted bunch of mail.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
mickle said:
So, just to get a few things out of the way and speed up your integration.

What is your position on each of the following subjects?;

Red light jumping and pavement cyclists.
Helmets and the wearing of Hi-Viz.
Global warming.
The damage to the countryside caused by recreational 4x4s.
Campag vs Shi**no vs SRAM.
Hybrids vs mountain bikes with slicks.
Racers vs road bikes.
Mudguards.
Politics.
Religion.
WD40.

No pressure.

Now that he's posted all his responses to the above ... can he leave again... or is it just so he can cut and paste as required... over and over again.

The forum would be a lot quieter without the thrashing to death of those topics. I wonder if during it all, anyone has altered their views. Actually I guess I have ... altered the way I clean my chain but it would be telling to say in what way.

Opps forgot to say welcome.

merlinmagic said:
Seeing as you asked so nicely:

Red light jumping and pavement cyclists.
RLJ definitely 100% NO - pavement sometimes if required. Have a couple of areas on my route where pavement is safest unless I fancy being a kamikaze. Have one major roundabout to deal with which in light traffic is fine. Heavy traffic forget it. If I was to get knocked off it would be on this junction. Traffic is too fast and not paying attention plus there is a chavs estate at one end of it so you tend to have boy racers testing out the grip of their tyres. Pavement is definitely safer then back on to the road later.

Helmets and the wearing of Hi-Viz.
Helmets and Hi-viz - always, but then I have two kids as well and think need to do my part to show all the dozey car drivers that there is a cycle on the road. They still wouldn't see me if I was a Christmas tree on wheels though. Plus I insist on my kids wearing helmets etc so I kind of have to do the same.

Global warming.
Who knows but think more people cycling and less traffic must be better for everyone.

The damage to the countryside caused by recreational 4x4s.
Majority of time its a minority that cause problems for the majority of decent people. The numpties will always be numpties until they eliminate themselves from the gene pool hopefully in their 4x4.

Campag vs Shi**no vs SRAM.
No clue. New to cycling so new preconceived ideas

Hybrids vs mountain bikes with slicks.
I have a hybrid enough said.

Racers vs road bikes.
See response to Campag.

Mudguards.
Personally I don't have them because I think it spoils the look of my bike. But then I do also get wet a lot and normally have soggy trousers after a few minutes of riding in the rain.

Politics.
People come to all sorts of conclusions based upon experience etc. Happy to share my thoughts but isn't this a cycling forum? :smile: Let's talk about cycling an save politics/religion for the pub.;)

Religion.
See above.

WD40.
Personally don't think it works that well. Anytime I have used WD40 its always made a mess and left a sticky residue over everything. Oil and grease are better alternatives IMHO.

Ok so there you have it. Me in a few short sentences.

You have answered all of the questions correctly, welcome to CC. :biggrin::biggrin:

Mr Pig said:
Most hybrids 'are' mountain bikes with slicks! ;0)

Wrong! A hybrid 'is' a 700c bike with flat bars. A mountain bike with slicks is a mountain bike with slicks.

Mr Pig

mickle said:
Wrong! A hybrid 'is' a 700c bike with flat bars.

Oh big deal! Fractionally bigger wheels, whoopee. And not all hybrids have 700c wheels, and they certainly don't all have flat bars, just as not all MTBs have risers.

Mountain bike with slicks is in vary many cases not far off the mark.

It's not a big deal and I'm sorry to be pedantic but this is just the kind of misinformation which confuses people. A hybrid must have 700c wheels and must not have drop handlebars (I include riser-bars in the flat bar category). I don't like the word hybrid myself, it's marketing department gobbledygook but a hybrid is is a hybrid and not a mountain bike with slicks. So ner.

Mr Pig

mickle said:
...but a hybrid is is a hybrid and not a mountain bike with slicks. So ner.

You want to have word with a few manufactures then ;0)

My point being that putting slicks on a MTB gives you something so close to an average hybrid that it makes little difference. Except that you've still got a MTB for the times that you do what to go off road, where as a lot of hybrids use parts, like the forks for instance, that aren't really made for that.

TVC

mickle said:
It's not a big deal and I'm sorry to be pedantic but this is just the kind of misinformation which confuses people. A hybrid must have 700c wheels and must not have drop handlebars (I include riser-bars in the flat bar category). I don't like the word hybrid myself, it's marketing department gobbledygook but a hybrid is is a hybrid and not a mountain bike with slicks. So ner.

Does this represent your submission as most serious forummer?;)

Hello Merlinmagic....

One more of us, one less of them.

Top Bottom