Morocco in january anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewie griffin

Über Member
I could be interested, not used to planning that far ahead though! I have a partner but she's usually glad to see the back of me :whistle:
I've been over to Morocco a few times, as yet not by bike though it's been on my mind to do so.
The last time was in April on a route that went down to the south then up the coast in an old car, this is a link to some of the story, WARNING CARS not bicycles but some nice pics http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/TREKKER FORUM/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1326
We camped mainly on camp sites & cheap hotels/hostels, I think wild camping could be a bit tricky for reasons already stated, it's possible but it just seems like people are everywhere, stop with nothing but horizon all around, wait a short time, someone will be walking towards you..................

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Am in lots of cycle clubs but find they are mostly married men who are mot aloud to travel with a single woman. Finding a female who wants to cycle tour on a low budget is always difficult. So i thought i would make a general 'ask' . It would of course be subject to a rigorous police check and exhaustive psycho-emotional tests

Looking for single men are you? ...... Oh Wait, I'd probably fail your tests! :laugh:

Actually, it sounds rather intriguing, but I need to wait and see what is happening with my surgery first, sorry.

OP
OP
suffolkcindy

suffolkcindy

No not looking for single men but married men usually arent allowed to tour with a single woman. Just a fact. Would actually prefer a female touring companion but they are rare as hens teeth.
Do you know, i wish i hadnt asked. Will tour solo as usual...

Tiberius Baltar

No not looking for single men but married men usually arent allowed to tour with a single woman. Just a fact. Would actually prefer a female touring companion but they are rare as hens teeth.

Don't be put off by the stupid remarks! I tend to find on here that the sarcasm and "wit" of many of the members comes across all wrong because of the difficulty of translation within the written word. I'm sure none of the above remarks are meant as a piss take but just general banter. I can see where your problem starts though as your in a difficult situation with regards to touring alone and also with regards to advertising for people to join you.

If I was in a position to offer to come along then I would have jumped at the chance but alas I am not. I am not equipped properly for such an expedition as I feel my lack of experience cycling abroad and my relatively budget priced gear would only cause stoppages and stress on such an adventure.

I hope you do find someone to join you though as its not very often that you get an offer to "tag" along on a two week tour of a foreign country!

Best of luck :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
I agree the sexism here is unhelpful. But despite the incredible delights of Morocco it is much more prevalent there. Paradoxically touring with a bloke would IMHO be more relaxed. It will be assumed you are his property so while there will still be banter it is less likely to be a serious problem.

Not being his property is the key. How you determine that isn't going to be a problem before you go is a real issue I am totally clueless about ...

Crankarm

Guru
I agree the sexism here is unhelpful. But despite the incredible delights of Morocco it is much more prevalent there. Paradoxically touring with a bloke would IMHO be more relaxed. It will be assumed you are his property so while there will still be banter it is less likely to be a serious problem.

Not being his property is the key. How you determine that isn't going to be a problem before you go is a real issue I am totally clueless about ...

Blimey ............ you really are out of touch! Things have moved on a bit from your ideas of a woman being the property of a man ie a chattel.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Blimey ............ you really are out of touch! Things have moved on a bit from your ideas of a woman being the property of a man ie a chattel.
From what I witnessed three years ago in Marrakesh, this enlightened message has not reached some of the more excitable males of Morocco.
Am I allowed to say that?

Crankarm

Guru
From what I witnessed three years ago in Marrakesh, this enlightened message has not reached some of the more excitable males of Morocco.
Am I allowed to say that?

You just did.

StuartG

slower but further
Blimey ............ you really are out of touch
Can't believe you have been there to know ...

The sexism is pretty heavy - not my opinion but my daughter and wife's experience a couple of years back. Good natured but the relentlessness of it got on their nerves - and they are pretty assertive ladies. They used me as a human shield. Or are you suggesting it was a Neandertal shield :sad:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Nope - its not my opinion - its my daughter and wife's experience a couple of years back. Good natured but the relentlessness of it got on their nerves. They used me as a human shield. Or are you suggesting it was a Neandertal shield :sad:
We wandered about the Medina with a whole rugby scrum of friends protecting my blonde teenage daughter from all that crap. And no, we were not being over-protective either.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Oh well excuse me for breathing! I misunderstood your message, but to be honest, it could have been interpreted more than one way.
Admittedly, my wording wasn't very good - replace single with free.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have been interested in you anyway, I don't swing that way really, despite what I might say on here.

Good luck.

As another 'rare as hen's teeth' female tourer who has toured alone with other single blokes to whom I was not romantically attached, there really was only one way to interpret that post. It wasn't a come-on in any way, shape or form. It was clearly all about the cycling, which is how it should be. I would love to go on such a trip but January is a very busy and skint time for me, being post christmas and everything. The CTC website might also be a place to go and find buddies. Cindy I hope that you do this trip and write it up for the benefit of others who may come after you

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've only been to Casablanca. As a bloke, I found it very friendly, but yes, very sexist. The woman in our party often didn't feel comfortable going into cafes, etc. I'd say it will be less hassle if you do succeed in finding a male companion.

Top Bottom