Morocco in january anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow7

Über Member
Hi Cindy.

I'd definitely recommend Marrakesh to Agadir via the Atlas mountains, the Tizzi n Tichka pass is wonderful.

Don’t let a a few negative comments about what happened to someone else tarnish the reputation of the entire country, just a shame it’s always bad news that travels, as opposed to the good. News usually brain-washes and distorts people's perception, britain's hardly crime free is it?

Being pestered wasn’t ever too bad, ok I’m a bloke so maybe easier, but I found if you confronted them they’d back right down, was normally kids wanting pens and stuff, just don’t give, if you do it to one you’ll be doing it to all.

Hopefully you’ll find someone, happy planning.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Mark, it's a very different situation being a woman there. Even in Casablanca, if a woman walks into a cafe on her own, the response can range from silence to aggression.

StuartG

slower but further
I am somewhere between you two. I found Morrocans friendly and helpful and never felt threatened. Its a beautiful country with sights you should not miss. But they do have a different worldview. What we see as inappropriate many of them see as appropriate. That includes the treatment of women in the street. Bottom pinching was a common hazard reported by my daughter. Yes that can happen on the tube here. Its not rape, you can ignore for a while, but in Morroco it is indulged in industrial scale. It became irksome and bruised more than an ego. It can impair your enjoyment of the country.

That's why IMHO it would be easier to tour with a bloke. Of course one that did share your YOUR worldview. Otherwise you are going to have to accept Morrocan ways or be super assertive. I wouldn't be sure how they would respond to that - in towns you can do it in French but in the hinterland that means Arabic.

Your choice and I will be delighted if any woman here can dispute our fears from experience.

FWIW my experience is mainly Marrakesh. Don't miss it ...

bigjim

Legendary Member
As I said on another post I may be up for it depending on further details. I'm a big ugly git so most people are pretty wary of me, though I'm a pussycat. My wife is quite happy for me to disappear over the horizon for a few weeks as I,m early retired so have a lot of flexibility but she still works.
It's hard to get travelling companions that match up to times, destinations etc, etc. I have had no positive responses from my post on France in September on here but have two responses from Crazyguyonabike forum. Both from outside of the UK.

Derekbb

Hi Cindy,

I'm currently on a world bike tour and will cross over into Morocco just after Christmas. I would be interested in sharing information with you and even (dare I say it?) sharing company. At the very least it would be useful to chat about different options. My plans are very flexible and you can find out lot's about me by visiting my website: http://www.dereksbiketrip.com

I'm pretty chilled out and not wanted (yet!) by any authorities.

BTW - I am looking for cycling companions, just to break up the time I'm spending alone, so if anyone would like to hook up get in touch. As of today 22nd December I'm in Almeria making my way down to Tarifa.

OP
OP
suffolkcindy

suffolkcindy

Hi
After much debate am off to Cuba this week so wont be able to meet up in morocco. Decision was mainly the hassle n language thing. Am blogging about cuba on CGOAB but very little internet in cuba so may be sparse at times.
Thank you everyone for your advice and interest in joining me.
Cindy

CFHARR

I toured a decade ago in Morocco solo. East of Taza friendly, West of there in the North wear a helmet and carry a stick suitable for whacking dogs with. The helmet is to protect against stone throwers. These are usually kids, sometimes teenagers. Best way to deal with this is have small sack of sweets and throw a handfull away from them and you as you approach. See how quickly they drop the rocks in their hands! Never have anything loosely bungied on the bike. It will be snatched off in towns and cities. Expect weather from snow to sun. I had enough of the hassle in the North after 3 weeks and headed back to Spain. Met a Swiss guy coming from South who confirmed that no/little nonesense had occured there. You will be pestered for sex daily whether male or female. Polite refusal usually suffices. Extremely beautiful country. Good luck.

Top Bottom