Morocco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I am thinking of a 10-14 day cycle tour in the High Atlas in April. However owing to recent attacks by Muslim fanatic nutters in Mali, Algeria and now today Foreign Office advice to all Brits, white westerners is to leave Benghazi in Libya ASAP. Undertstandably I am having second thoughts. Maybe flying to Turkey would be safer and cycling around the mountains there would be safer? The Alps will still be snowed under in April and many of the big cols not yet open and passable. Is Morocco still a safe destination given the risk from Islamist nutters in North Africa?

StuartG

slower but further
Have you checked out the Foriegn Office advice? It will be contemporious of anything we can add.

The weakness is this is a fast changing situation. What's OK this week may not be next. As the Marrakesh Cafe I used to go to was blown up a year or so ago I personally would put that part of the world on hold for awhile.

But then Turkey has seen considerable terrorist action over the years too ... geyser surfng in Iceland is probably the best way to avoid terrorists :becool:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Have you checked out the Foriegn Office advice? It will be contemporious of anything we can add.

The weakness is this is a fast changing situation. What's OK this week may not be next. As the Marrakesh Cafe I used to go to was blown up a year or so ago I personally would put that part of the world on hold for awhile.

But then Turkey has seen considerable terrorist action over the years too ... geyser surfng in Iceland is probably the best way to avoid terrorists :becool:

Cafe blown up you say? Crikey. I suppose Iceland would be an alternative but I was hoping to visit a warmer than cooler climate compared to the UK. The Atlas Mtns has been an area that has intrigued me. Mind you so has Mali, especially for the music, but that's a definate no-go at present.

Greece?

Yellow7

Über Member
Whilst at the end of my last tour in Cape Town, the UK riots were in full swing, South African's were being advised by their government not to travel to the UK? It amazes me how news channels distort reality to the point that hysteria sets in - not that I’m saying there's no danger there, as anywhere, Christmas morning a young lad was killed for no reason outside the Snowdome complex, here in Milton Keynes….

Just because Morocco ‘s on the same continent, & has the same religion, as Mali, Algeria & Libya it doesn't necessarily deserve the same negativity. I rode through the Atlas from Marrakesh to Agadir & can’t recommend it enough.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Whilst at the end of my last tour in Cape Town, the UK riots were in full swing, South African's were being advised by their government not to travel to the UK? It amazes me how news channels distort reality to the point that hysteria sets in - not that I’m saying there's no danger there, as anywhere, Christmas morning a young lad was killed for no reason outside the Snowdome complex, here in Milton Keynes….

Just because Morocco ‘s on the same continent, & has the same religion, as Mali, Algeria & Libya it doesn't necessarily deserve the same negativity. I rode through the Atlas from Marrakesh to Agadir & can’t recommend it enough.

I think I'll put my plans for Morocco on hold for a bit. I don't fancy the risk all be it small of being kidnapped, shot or blown up. Thanks anyway.

Southern Spain might be a good alternative instead.

robjh

Legendary Member
I can't preach to you, but I do think the High Atlas is another world from the wide expanses of the Algerian Sahara, where there has been an insurgency problem for many years, going back to the civil war in the 1990s. And if things ever did change quickly near the borders, the High Atlas are still a good way away. That said, Morocco too has suffered sporadic terrorist bombings in the urban centres such as Casablanca and Marrakesh in recent years - yet many thousands of visitors still visit without the slightest problem (me included, last November). Personally I would still go, but I'd be keeping abreast of the news and travel advice just in case.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd say if the very low terrorist risk in Morocco bothers you, there are few countries you could consider. Spain is probably in much the same kind of risk category.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you look at the foreign office advice it will tell you not to go. The government not only have to cover its arXe it has to be seen to be covering its arXe.

Look on Horizonsunlimited.com and ask the question there. It is a RTW motorbike site but there will be motorcyclists in Morocco as we sit here and freeze who can give you up to the minute, on the ground advice.

Steve

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
If you look at the foreign office advice it will tell you not to go.
On the contrary, it gets a green rating - no restrictions:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...e-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/morocco

stewie griffin

Über Member
I went over to Morocco last Easter for a week (not cycling), I'm going again this Easter probably nearer two weeks staying in "hotels" across the country & camping as much as poss.
It hadn't even occured to me to worry about going till I saw this thread, & unless something actually kicked off over there (very unlikely) I'm not worried in the slightest.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I am thinking of a 10-14 day cycle tour in the High Atlas in April. However owing to recent attacks by Muslim fanatic nutters in Mali, Algeria and now today Foreign Office advice to all Brits, white westerners is to leave Benghazi in Libya ASAP. Undertstandably I am having second thoughts. Maybe flying to Turkey would be safer and cycling around the mountains there would be safer? The Alps will still be snowed under in April and many of the big cols not yet open and passable. Is Morocco still a safe destination given the risk from Islamist nutters in North Africa?
Am I the only one who thinks this post is a bit racist and xenophobic?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I didn't mean it in a nasty way, just the "Muslim fanatical nutters" bit? Mixed in with white westerners, just seems a bit strong.

I mean surely other coloured westerners are just as likely to be targeted? And if you read into it a bit more you'd realise it's not really about religion.

Although I do agree I wouldn't want to go there at all, being an area of essentially civil war.

Top Bottom