Morocco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
'Muslim' isn't a race any more than 'Christian' is. The statement might not be politically correct but it ain't racist.

Crankarm also wasn't implying that all Muslims are fanatical nutters, and I don't think anyone could argue that Islam has its fair share of fanatical nutters, just like Christianity does.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
'Muslim' isn't a race any more than 'Christian' is. The statement might not be politically correct but it ain't racist.
Ok I agree, racist was the wrong term, politically incorrect is moe in line with what I was saying......sorry crank arm.

Yellow7

Über Member
I didn't mean it in a nasty way, just the "Muslim fanatical nutters" bit? Mixed in with white westerners, just seems a bit strong.
I mean surely other coloured westerners are just as likely to be targeted? And if you read into it a bit more you'd realise it's not really about religion.
Although I do agree I wouldn't want to go there at all, being an area of essentially civil war.

I've just started reading Plato's The Republic ( 350 B.C.) , interestingly his 'The Allegory of the Cave' describes a modern day phenomenon, how the media influences our view of the world and understanding of what goes on. In Plato's Cave, shadows are projected onto the rear of the cave, whereby the people are led to beleive what they see is reality. Unbeknown to them there is a real world just outside the cave's entrance, all they need to do is break their ties to exit the cave & experience the real world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

StuartG

slower but further
Cafe blown up you say? Crikey. ?
Yes, this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13243882

But then a Moroccan might quote 7/7 or the IRA bombings in London (which shows no one faith has a monopoly on maniacal killers). Greece may not be a life risk but if you are mistaken for a German or Moroccan it could be unpleasant. I go with Martin's suggestion of Spain. Stupendous almost empty country with scenery to die for. Plus the best bits of Islamic architecture at Cordoba which, unlike Morocco, you can enjoy from the inside. The weather can be wet in Andalucia in January but the you could always retire to a Jerez Bodegas for an aperitif before enjoying tapas and hoping the rain won't stop!

On the other hand I did once get a tan in February!

Cheap flights or take the ferry. Trains are bike friendly (except the high speed) and very cheap. The only downside is you are supposed to take a helmet. But as it is Spain you don't have to wear it ^_^

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Plus the best bits of Islamic architecture at Cordoba which, unlike Morocco, you can enjoy from the inside.
You can enjoy some of the Islamic architecture from the inside in Morocco, including the world's largest mosque.

casablanca-48.jpg

casablanca-41.jpg

casablanca-42.jpg

casablanca-45.jpg

stewie griffin

Über Member
'The Allegory of the Cave' describes a modern day phenomenon, how the media influences our view of the world and understanding of what goes on. In Plato's Cave, shadows are projected onto the rear of the cave, whereby the people are led to beleive what they see is reality. Unbeknown to them there is a real world just outside the cave's entrance, all they need to do is break their ties to exit the cave & experience the real world.

I think that's quite true, the media is responsable for sooo much fear.......

What would the posters who recomend not visiting Morocco advice be about someone wanting to visitit the UK, what with that horrendous tube bombing?

Pick a country, then think of a reason why you shouldn't go, it's easy.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Really? Have you been reading the news or the background to the 50 years struggle?

See my post above, "the media is responsable for sooo much fear"

I think stepping out of the house & riding a bicycle on UK roads is pretty risky, I don't think visiting Morocco is risky. Based on doing a lot riding on UK roads & 3 visits to Morocco.
We all have different ideas of risk, some is first hand.

Top Bottom