Mosal Trail - pleasant surprise, almost - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Was walking the above several times last week and was a bit apprehensive as a few years ago, the GLW and I were doing same and were much aggrevated by MTB'ers belting past at speed without any consideration for the walkers on the trail.
However, fast forward to now and I was very pleasantly surprised to experience seeing dozens of cyclists of every discipline, shape & size on virtually every type of bike available, using the trail without any issues regarding the walkers. Only once was there cause for irritation; nearing Monsal Head, there was a furious ting, ting, ting, from behind and two 'kitted out' blokes in their forties on expensive MTBs, came haring past at speed, weaving in and out of all the other walkers & cyclists, clearly determined to get to their finish in record time.
Always one isn't there - ? :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Always one isn't there - ?
Two, actually :okay:.
a furious ting, ting, ting, from behind and two 'kitted out' blokes

kennycl

Regular
We were there at the weekend and have a lovely time, aside from the 4 year old occasionally struggling to remember which was the left and managing to fall sideways off what looks like an old platform a couple of feet up in the air! Managed to land upside down with her bike on top of her though.

My one main reflection is that e-bikes are a bit of a menace somewhere like that - they can go far too fast on a busy trail with limited bike handling skills! I think normally the process of getting bike fit improves your awareness and handling skills over time (allowing for the few idiots), with a e-bike you can pelt along from the off. Fortunately it was only me they nearly collided with as the gap they were aiming for closed up with others heading in the opposite direction!

kennycl

Regular
If the e-bikes are powered past 15.5mph they're illegal and the riders could land in hot water.

I'm not sure they were, but with the space and how busy it was on a Saturday afternoon anything over about 10mph on the narrow or busy spots where people join and leave the trail was a bit much! On the more open sections it was much less of an issue - it's probably more of an awareness issue and reading the trail/ road than the bikes themselves.

Drago

Legendary Member
Was walking the above several times last week and was a bit apprehensive as a few years ago, the GLW and I were doing same and were much aggrevated by MTB'ers belting past at speed without any consideration for the walkers on the trail.
However, fast forward to now and I was very pleasantly surprised to experience seeing dozens of cyclists of every discipline, shape & size on virtually every type of bike available, using the trail without any issues regarding the walkers. Only once was there cause for irritation; nearing Monsal Head, there was a furious ting, ting, ting, from behind and two 'kitted out' blokes in their forties on expensive MTBs, came haring past at speed, weaving in and out of all the other walkers & cyclists, clearly determined to get to their finish in record time.
Always one isn't there - ? :whistle:
Provided they don't run anyone over, who cares how fast they go?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
GLW?

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Provided they don't run anyone over, who cares how fast they go?
That's fine to a point, but there are toddlers wandering about, youngsters wobbling around on bikes and walkers who may well decide to walk across the trail to get a better view of something without awareness of speeding cyclists. :dry:

Top Bottom