Mosquitoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ugh I have a mosquito related tale of woe as well. In 2003 I was working in Canada for a little while, and took my mtb out there so I could get some exercise and make friends easily at the local mtb club. The mozzies out there (or skeeters, as the canadians call them) are an order of magnitude larger than anything we have in this country. Anyway, for one evening ride out in the local woods, I dutifully covered myself in mozzie repellant and set off - or so I thought. I'd sprayed every part of myself - clothes and all - except my arse, as it turned out. So, imagine the scene, riding through woods, arse in the air, every mosquito in the area homed in on it and went in for a munch. I felt the odd sting, but nothing much, until I woke up the next morning to find that my entire arse swollen with about 40 gigantic mosquito bites. Baboons eat your heart out. It was three days before I could sit down properly. I had to take strong oral antihystermines to sort it, and bore the scars for several months. Oh boy. In the words of Morrisey, I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
We've got a plague of them just now - down to the wet weather apparently. My legs an arms are plastered with bites ;):ohmy:!:ohmy:
I think the little sods get caught in the hairs and then stop for lunch.

Keith Oates said:
Does anyone know any good reason why these little perishers are on this earth. There are times when they drive me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no shortage of the buggers here, either.
Keith; there's a very effective product called 'Jungle Oil' that's sold here.
If you want some I can send you a bottle.

gpx001

Über Member
Oldlegs said:
We've got a plague of them just now - down to the wet weather apparently. My legs an arms are plastered with bites ;):ohmy:!:ohmy:
I think the little sods get caught in the hairs and then stop for lunch.

I'd heard about them in Norfolk - I guess it's a case of if the flooding doesn't get you the mozzies will!

longers

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Ugh I have a mosquito related tale of woe as well. In 2003 I was working in Canada for a little while, and took my mtb out there so I could get some exercise and make friends easily at the local mtb club. The mozzies out there (or skeeters, as the canadians call them) are an order of magnitude larger than anything we have in this country. Anyway, for one evening ride out in the local woods, I dutifully covered myself in mozzie repellant and set off - or so I thought. I'd sprayed every part of myself - clothes and all - except my arse, as it turned out. So, imagine the scene, riding through woods, arse in the air, every mosquito in the area homed in on it and went in for a munch. I felt the odd sting, but nothing much, until I woke up the next morning to find that my entire arse swollen with about 40 gigantic mosquito bites. Baboons eat your heart out. It was three days before I could sit down properly. I had to take strong oral antihystermines to sort it, and bore the scars for several months. Oh boy. In the words of Morrisey, I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible.

Kirstie - What did you use as the effective repellant that didn't quite get put everywhere? I will need some.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There have been several books written about the impact of the midge on the Scottish economy. They have certainly sent me scurrying home early from a few camping holidays.

The mosquito is indeed man's worst enemy - if quinine hadn't been discovered, the white man could never have colonised Africa. Then what, do you think?

Top Bottom