Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think I could have built my bike for £1300 with a titanium frame. Steel was £400 with forks. Titanium frames are also rather colourless. I like colour on my bikes :smile:

No bike's terribly quick with me on board :biggrin:
How about this one? And it's the same colour.
upload_2014-2-25_21-48-1.jpeg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes a terrifying one! I don't do speed (literally or metaphorically) :wacko:

I suppose stopping unexpectedly at any speed is a problem, as you will testify. It's just a choice between the difference of a rainbow coloured leg (with other complications) or your head falling off. personally i'm off motorbikes for a while too.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The bike is home, yay. Lovely and light. The one thing I am not sure about aesthetically are the white hubs on the fulcrum racing 5 wheels...why?! I think these wheels may go on the Pearson as the hubs will better match the colouring and the Pearson wheels (omega, not great and heavier but silver hubs) will go on the Genesis. Will need to swap the tyres over as red ones will look shocking with the copper paintwork! :wacko:

Another month and hopefully I'll be able to actually ride this bike!! :banghead:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I can heartily recommend a Condor Fratello. Been riding one since March and it is comfortable but still has decent handling and feels pretty fast. It also looks great. If you get a complete bike they do a full fitting. The frame plus carbon fork is £600.

I've not got a rack on mine yet but run 25mm with Chromoplastics and all seems good. Bear in mind the frame requires deep drop brakes which limits choice of caliper or may prevent you transferring an existing one over if you were to go frame only. Condor do a couple of calipers which I think are both rebadged Tektros. Hear bad things about the cheaper ones but the other ones are good enough.

I've got their "tempo" which is virtually the same frame as fratello, perhaps exactly the same but built as a fixie. I have to say it is very comfortable indeed and I'm delighted with it. Condor's "bike fit" when ordering was spot on and no small part of the comfort - I think I've lowered the bars by about 5mm but that's about it. It's also made of some fancy Columbus steel or other which I dare say helps. In my head I can't see how frame flex, carbon forks or whatever is going to make any difference given the rubber tyres (and air within them) is going to be far far more flexible and forgiving than steel, alumium or carbon frames - but still - nice steel bike do seem comfy compared to old fashioned gas-pipe steel. Not ridden carbon or alumium so can't compare there.

Top Bottom