Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is probably a pretty divisive question but what frame material is the best for rough surfaces, especially that awful stuff where there are basically stones all through the tarmac and broken, potholed, pitted surfaces...you know, typical UK roads!

I have done 71 miles on an alu frame/carbon forks today and my hands and arms are exhausted and sore, despite gel mitts, 3mm tape, 25mm tyres, moving hands between hoods and tops, regular stops. Rode with jefmcg of this parish, same bike and she barely noticed the surfaces and holes that made me miserable.

My Whyte hybrid is certainly better in this regard than the Giant but not really for long distances at (relative) speed

Carbon is certainly more comfortable but a fixed rack and decent mudguards are not possible. Titanium bikes are too expensive. Are some aluminiums better than others?

Which I guess leaves steel - does it soak up road bumps and buzz better than carbon/alu? Not a material I have considered but I am rather taken with this (especially as it has SRAM brifters which work better for me); 12kg so not the lightest but doable
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/eastway-st-1-0-steel?bct=browse/bicycles/road-bikes

musa

Über Member
My easy go easy come is a solid bike. If the road is really bad i do feel it so sometimes it can't be help.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Out of my alu, carbon and steel, I would say steel is the smoothest closely followed by carbon. The carbon is so much lighter though that it gets the nod for most rides. The aluminum even with carbon forks and seatpost is harsher.

jay clock

Massive member
Sounds like a bike fit issue. I have an alu framed Trek 2.1 and done 100 mile + rides with no issues. Not vastly different from my full carbon bike

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fit has been adjusted, narrower bars, new tape, same old. I am still struggling with the tendonitis in my right hand and had minor surgery on left elbow less than a month ago which won't be helping. It's all just very frustrating, not to mention uncomfortable. I have carbon but the inability to fit a fixed rack rules it out as the daily do it all workhorse

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The Eastway steelie has fatter tyres, I do wonder if that may help

Thanks for the offer biggs but you are rather far away

400bhp

Guru
Fit has been adjusted, narrower bars, new tape, same old. I am still struggling with the tendonitis in my right hand and had minor surgery on left elbow less than a month ago which won't be helping. It's all just very frustrating, not to mention uncomfortable. I have carbon but the inability to fit a fixed rack rules it out as the daily do it all workhorse

By whom?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike shop.

If the surface is (rarely) smooth, I am fine, if rough, I suffer!

Do carbon bars make a difference?

400bhp

Guru
Bike shop.

If the surface is (rarely) smooth, I am fine, if rough, I suffer!

Do carbon bars make a difference?

Was it a £30 jobbie or a proper fit?

Sorry, I can understand sore hands to some extent, but not sore arms on a road bike.

U

User6179

Sorry, I can understand sore hands to some extent, but not sore arms on a road bike.

My hands never get sore but just above my elbows are always tender , I double wrap the bars and have gel mitts tho .

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member

Hands, wrists, lower arms. Definitely exacerbated by road surface, every bump felt

Top Bottom