Small frame+long stem vs big frame+short stem

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

When using a flat bar on a drop bar frame, there are two options. Go with the correct frame size for a drop bar then use a longer stem to compensate for the shorter reach. Or go a size bigger and fit a shorter stem. Leaving stack height out of the equation (as this can be adjusted easily), which option do you prefer? Obviously the variables here are wheelbase, chainstay length (depending on the frame, this might not change), headtube/seattube angles, weight, etc...

vickster

Legendary Member
Or just get a flat bar bike?
I went for the first option, 130mm stem still too small. Sold to a friend about 4 inches shorter!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Larger frame with a standard stem in my case (nominally a cyclocross frame). Unfortunately it's not the sort of thing you can pop to the local bike shop and try for size.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Or just get a flat bar bike?
I've already got one that has a flat-bar-specific geometry. Just thinking about chainging the frame in the future. They don't seem to sell the frame only for these bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Larger frame with a standard stem in my case (nominally a cyclocross frame). Unfortunately it's not the sort of thing you can pop to the local bike shop and try for size.

This is similar to what I have now. Effective top tube length around 595mm and I'm 6'2'. If using a drop bar, I'd choose something around 570-580mm.

What are the benefits of a longer frame vs shorter frame assuming my position on the bike is identical?

Tom B

Guru
It's one of life's dilemmas, I must be an odd size because I always feel in-between.
I'm currently riding a long frame with a short stem and the seat rammed forward, it was horrible with a longer stem.

Go with the one that feels best and most natural, but that means being able to try at a shop - or even spending the time hiring one of each.

GuyBoden

Guru
The old method was that when you looked down with your hands on the bars, the handlebar was directly obscuring the front wheel axle.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Depends what you're looking for from the bike. There will be geometrical differences between different frame sizes - in the head tube and seat tube angle. Do you want a more relaxed or responsive feel?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Small frame will be lighter and stiffer, but may give to overlap issues.

Reminds me of the dilemma when buying my Genesis; think I might need a lie down..

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Reminds me of the dilemma when buying my Genesis; think I might need a lie down..
As someone usually in between sizes, I had a similar dilemma recently as well. Until I realised that the stand over height on the larger frame would risk damaging the family jewels - this made the choice much easier.

Mburton1993

Über Member
I have a Cannondale Caad8 105, it has a 48cm frame which according to the size guide is made for someone between 5'0'' and 5'3'' so too small.

I switched out the stem from 80mm to 130mm which, when I was riding it, seemed to sort out the reach (kept it on drop downs).

It was terrifying to ride though.

Incidentally I'm selling it if anyone's interested. ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As someone usually in between sizes, I had a similar dilemma recently as well. Until I realised that the stand over height on the larger frame would risk damaging the family jewels - this made the choice much easier.

lol - yes; it's sometimes nice to have the choice made for you!

I'm long-of-leg and short of torso; torn between the small and med sizes. Small would have given a lot of toe overlap so med was the only choice. Still get a bit of overlap with the mudguard on, but it could be worse. Running it with an 80mm stem and while the reach to the hoods is still significant, it's manageable / comfortable enough :smile:

GuyBoden

Guru
The old method was that when you looked down with your hands on the bars, the handlebar was directly obscuring the front wheel axle.

Edit: Verified here, so the method is still being used.
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-choose-best-stem-length-231879

"One good rule of thumb for choosing the correct length stem (and it works for the road.cc team) is to sit on the bike with your hands on the top of the hoods and look down at the front hub. If the stem length is correct, the handlebars should completely hide the front hub. If you can see the hub in front of the handlebar, the stem is too short."

rualexander

Legendary Member
Leaving stack height out of the equation (as this can be adjusted easily).......

Stack height can't really be adjusted at all as it's defined by the fame size (vertical distance from centre of BB to top of head tube centreline)
Handlebar height can be adjusted by spacers and stem if there's sufficient steerer length.

Top Bottom