Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
As a cheap (free) trick, try rotating your bars towards you a bit more. I've found that makes a significant difference to my comfort on my steel and carbon bikes.

Also try taking a bit of pressure out of the tyes.

I do agree that steel (at least in R520 and R501 forms that I have ridden) is more flexible than aluminium which does make the ride a bit smoother.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I might try the bars trick

I fear I may need to buy a 4th bike :whistle:

michaelcycle

The biggest differences are going to be in contact points, like bars, saddle, tape, tyres, tyre pressures and even bike fit.

I think this is the key as well as finding a geometry that suits you and the riding you want to do. I think frame material is generally secondary when it comes to comfort.

Having said that in my experience a decent steel bike which fits well is exceeding comfortable.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really sure which way to turn right now. With my crappy joints and propensity for overuse injuries, I m not sure I'll ever find a bike that is comfortable and meets all my needs

forzagaribaldi

I can heartily recommend a Condor Fratello. Been riding one since March and it is comfortable but still has decent handling and feels pretty fast. It also looks great. If you get a complete bike they do a full fitting. The frame plus carbon fork is £600.

I've not got a rack on mine yet but run 25mm with Chromoplastics and all seems good. Bear in mind the frame requires deep drop brakes which limits choice of caliper or may prevent you transferring an existing one over if you were to go frame only. Condor do a couple of calipers which I think are both rebadged Tektros. Hear bad things about the cheaper ones but the other ones are good enough.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I am rather taken with the Genesis Equilibrium in the lovely orange colour. However, I would much rather have SRAM gearing over 105, also I would need to make a bunch of other amends to get the sizing and aesthetic right, stem, bar width, tape colour etc. All of this has got me thinking buy the frame, fork, all the bits online and get it built!

Really stupid question, what bits exactly are needed to build a bike? A groupset seems to come with most bits, then presumably seat post and clamp, stem, bars, tape, wheels, skewers, tyres, tubes

I am rather taken with the Genesis Equilibrium in the lovely orange colour. However, I would much rather have SRAM gearing over 105, also I would need to make a bunch of other amends to get the sizing and aesthetic right, stem, bar width, tape colour etc. All of this has got me thinking buy the frame, fork, all the bits online and get it built!

Really stupid question, what bits exactly are needed to build a bike? A groupset seems to come with most bits, then presumably seat post and clamp, stem, bars, tape, wheels, skewers, tyres, tubes
Saddle, probably going to want one of those.

Top Bottom