Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers J

I may know someone who would be able to swap the 105 groupset over for SRAM, or indeed build the bike but I do think that is going to be very costly if can get the while bike for around a grand

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've had the hand issues over the years, especially with that Pearson I bought from you. It was very unforgiving, even with steel forks.

I've now got a genesis croix de fer with 28 mm tyres and all hand issues have gone, tho I'm only back upto 70 miles (still got a dodgy elbow from getting knocked off).

Funnily enough, I never had hand issues with my pompino either so I'm thinking perhaps steel is a bit more road buzz friendly.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a reasonable test ride on an equilibrium 20 today, despite the too wide bars, too long stem and knife of a gents saddle :ohmy: it was pretty comfy, I didn't avoid the holes, bumps and metal work and it seemed comfortable over the rough Wimbledon streets, probably more than the avail despite the fit not being great. 54cm frame. However, although the 105 groupset shifted really well, I did have a struggle to get the bike to stop and rather overshot the asl at a red light! :blush: I rely heavily on the cross levers on the giant as I have the same issue with the tiagra brakes. The guy at Evans said that the tektro calipers aren't the best but I think I simply can't get adequate braking through the levers from the hood. SRAM on the pave works much better for me as the hoods are better suited to smaller hands and shorter fingers. Although I am not small, some of my proportions are ultimately female! The other thing is that surprisingly the genesis doesn't have proper rack mounting points below the seat post, which is a pain although not insurmountable.

Now I could just stick with the giant at least until the spring, I could get the genesis and have cross levers fitted when the stem and bars are sorted, I could switch to SRAM but that will be costly...or I could get someone to build to spec from the frame up?

Realistically, how much would all the bits be, frame and fork around £450? SRAM groupset, wheels, tyres, tubes, stem, bars etc? Complete bike is somewhere between £1150-£1300, plus say another £100 for bars, tape, stem.

Never easy this bike stuff!

goody

Veteran
Think the groupset (Apex) is around £420 allow £300 for some wheels and tyres and your already at the price of the bike as it comes from the shop. As most projects end up costing more than you planned it might be a more expensive option. The upside is your getting a bike that's made with the parts you want rather than how it comes from the factory. You could also use secondhand or cheaper new bits and upgrade at a later date but then you're buying twice I suppose.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Too expensive I'm afraid, I don't want to go much beyond a grand if possible. Also, I don't like silver, grey (or black) bikes, and titanium is usually naked. Has to have some colour

It's a shame shimano don't make hoods that are friendlier to female hands, the SRAM are a much better shape for me, although I prefer the shifting of shimano mechanism on balance.

buddha

Veteran
The one thing that's made the most difference, to me, is using a fatter/more-supple front tyre. And not pumped up to the maximum rated pressure anymore.
I can't feel a huge difference between the carbon/alu/steel bikes I have.
Though I currently ride the steel bike the most - but that just because it's the most versatile.

buddha

Veteran
...It's a shame shimano don't make hoods that are friendlier to female hands...
Aren't R700 shifters meant for that? I saw a LH R700 for £50 at Merlin Cycles the other day - pretty cheap! CRC also sell them cheap I think.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm I have found somewhere with the frame and fork for around £400, and only in my size...tempting...project for next year, can buy the parts as and when I have cash left at the end of the month

What wheels would people recommend, I'll want 25mm tyres and even possibly 28mm. I am around 14stone :blush:

outlash

also available in orange
Genesis frame in orange, nice :smile:.

What wheels would people recommend

Depending on your budget and if we were talking a couple of months ago, I'd have said grab a set of fulcrum racing 5's as a few places were doing the 2013 versions for around £150 but they all seem to have dried up. Saying that even at full price they're pretty good value IMO. A mate of mine has the CX versions and they're bombproof, he commutes on trails, through fields and they haven't given him any grief at all.

Tony.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Genesis frame in orange, nice :smile:.

Depending on your budget and if we were talking a couple of months ago, I'd have said grab a set of fulcrum racing 5's as a few places were doing the 2013 versions for around £150 but they all seem to have dried up. Saying that even at full price they're pretty good value IMO. A mate of mine has the CX versions and they're bombproof, he commutes on trails, through fields and they haven't given him any grief at all.

Tony.

I don't really have a budget. I could take the wheels off the lightly used carbon beastie and buy better for that

It would be nice to keep the build cost under the rrp of ready made. I have a mate who might build for me

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hmm I have found somewhere with the frame and fork for around £400, and only in my size...tempting...project for next year, can buy the parts as and when I have cash left at the end of the month

What wheels would people recommend, I'll want 25mm tyres and even possibly 28mm. I am around 14stone :blush:
Hi
As I'm going the same route, I've been jumping through similar hoops!
What I've learned through talking with wheelbuilders is that they can build a wheel for stiffness or comfort or whatever depending on your needs. A chat with Harry Rowlands might be useful. Factory built wheels with low spoke counts can be stiff but not so comfortable.
I'm boiling down to Archetype 23mm rims on either Ultegra/105 hubs (cheaper good hubs are available) as both sexy light enough, compliant and long lasting.
http://hplusson.com/products/archetype

Look at @john's Bike' here ....
http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/gallery/

tigger

Über Member
As Dayvo and Fabfoody said, maybe its not just about the frame? Wider tyres and lower pressure will help. Might be worth experimenting here before you shell out on another bike. Tyres aside, I find aluminium a harsher ride than carbon. I've not ridden steel for years but I think the order of comfort will always be Steel, Titanium/Carbon, Aluminium

Top Bottom