Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
There's loads of variables with this so I think making predictions is a bit a punt but its the internets so lets have a go anyway :smile:. The following just relates to my personal experience and I'm sure others may have conflicting opinions so please bear that in mind.

If bike fit is OK and all the contact points already mentioned have been through, fatter tyres is probably the cheapest option. There is also the frame geometry to consider, and the skill and blend of tubes used by the framebuilder, with slacker angles generally being more comfy.

In my experience carbon bars on the whole seem to take some of the buzz out but its a bit of a trade off. I had some Ritchey WCS carbon ones which flexed a bit which was a bit disconcerting at first but I got used to them and they were comfortable. Conversely I had some newer FSA compact K-force ones which did'nt seem to flex at all but and as a result were less comfortable, and you'd notice it on a 100 miler.

In my experience I think the flex issue with bars is similar with frames, I have ridden alu and found it a bit harsh, similar in feel to 520 cromoly which I was'nt really keen on.

I have a steel Reynolds 853 pro-team bike which I think is used for the main triangle and then has either 731 or 631 seat/chain stays and forks, this rides really nice but I know some consider 853 a bit too stiff for 100 milers.

But my favourite of what I've ridden (and there loads of different Columbus version I've never ridden so again I'm no expert) so far is a Columbus SL frame which is my go to frame for long rides. For me it has the perfect blend of flex to absorb bumps without feeling noodly, official techy term :smile:

I'm about 13 stone so if you are 14 stone of more maybe SL could be considered a tad too flexy, who knows?? I think the Columbus SLX version was stiffer. I think you get the gist thats hard to tell what is going to be good for someone else.

If it was me, (and nothing wrong with N+1 if you can afford it and have space), I'd try and hunt around for a 2nd hand steel frame or complete bike and try and have a test ride, though I appreciate this may not be possible. A 2nd hand frame/bike will be cheaper so if you don't like it you can sell it on without taking a big financial hit.

So all in all clear as mud :smile: good luck.

michaelcycle

I have nothing to add to this discussion other than the 2014 Equilibrium 10 is damn sexy...

equilibrium-10.jpg

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your answer Mr booze and cake (excellent moniker :biggrin:)

I already have 25mm tyres on the Giant and my Crud mudguards already rub like a rubbing thing, so I don't think fatter tyres will work. I recently added better tyres so I fear that the tyre avenue is a bit of a dead end

I am not sure that I want to spend much more money getting the Giant to fit...after all I've had it for over a year now :whistle:

I think it might be fun actually buying all the bits for a build...all of those lovely parcels arriving...just collecting a whole bike from the LBS would be rather dull in comparison :girl: I do like to shop :ph34r:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Genesis frame in orange, nice :smile:.

Depending on your budget and if we were talking a couple of months ago, I'd have said grab a set of fulcrum racing 5's as a few places were doing the 2013 versions for around £150 but they all seem to have dried up. Saying that even at full price they're pretty good value IMO. A mate of mine has the CX versions and they're bombproof, he commutes on trails, through fields and they haven't given him any grief at all.

Tony.
Are those the best wheels for the money as I have found for £160?

OK, a quick search around, I reckon I could do this for ~£1200 + any build cost...unless I have forgotten something absolutely obvious (I have saddle and pedals) :blush:...

Frame + Fork - £400
Handlebars - £30
Stem - £20
Apex Groupset (seems to include everything needed) - £420
Tape - £15
Seatpost - £40 (these are a mystery to me)
QR skewers - £25
Fulcrum 5 Wheels - £160
Tyres & tubes - £60

That would leave around £30 for sundries...does that seem about right?

Last edited:
yep as long as its home built. Does the apex kit have deep drop brakes? rack and mudguards if you dont have them.

Can't see but I doubt they are long drop, you may have to see if they will do a swap.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
No they aren't. SRAM don't do a long drop, tektro do which I guess would be compatible? This is all rather techie for me! I guess with seat post etc I should try to mirror the genesis spec although that seems a funny size and length. The 2014 10 model is a looker In green but the 20 is an uninspiring cream. Much prefer the copper. Need to pluck up courage and get the frame soon!!
Can't see but I doubt they are long drop, you may have to see if they will do a swap.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No they aren't. SRAM don't do a long drop, tektro do which I guess would be compatible? This is all rather techie for me! I guess with seat post etc I should try to mirror the genesis spec although that seems a funny size and length. The 2014 10 model is a looker In green but the 20 is an uninspiring cream. Much prefer the copper. Need to pluck up courage and get the frame soon!!
the frame is stunning vickster - go on push the button - you know you want too :evil:

I love the copper so am envious. Seat pin is a standard 27.2. I find the headtube quite short. You can run 25cc with mudguards. From the BR forum the shimano R650 - you need to check are better than tektro.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think shimano only with shimano groupset? It is the 350mm seat post length that is unusual I think?

Top Bottom