Most comfortable frame material?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The giant has carbon forks. This is the bike that is most problematic. If it is a fit issue, what specifically is likely to be the culprit? I see my physio on Thursday, will see what hurty bis he can find and what he suggests!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Do carbon bars make a difference?

When I ride aluminium bars, I suffer from pins and needles which I believe are due to resonate frequency coming from the bars, I do not get this from Carbon bars. (Not trying to understand it, or explain it)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I rode 100 miles yesterday on the same Alu/Carbon fork TCR I've been riding for the past 8 years, same wheels, same tyres. No 'fit' issues.
Today I feel beaten-up.
It doesn't help that the headset bearings are shot (these are worth checking if it's suddenly become vibey) but I've given-up on the state of the roads. So I'm going steel.
The weight penalty is minimal especially if overweight like me.

With your requirements I'd look at the Genesis Equilibrium frame and the Condor Fratello. Both will take guards and a rack and are comfort proven.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The giant has carbon forks. This is the bike that is most problematic. If it is a fit issue, what specifically is likely to be the culprit? I see my physio on Thursday, will see what hurty bis he can find and what he suggests!
Headset bearings as eluded to in my other post, they are the essential link between frame and fork and if the contact is poor the damping doesn't work.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike could do with a service, will get that checked. Thanks

The condor is very pretty and sits well with my supporting British bike firms :smile: but not inexpensive!

Last edited:

Onyer

Hi Vickster
I had the same problems with my Ridgeback Genesis, which is a very good bike, but gave me pins and needles in my hands, arms etc. I bought a Specilized Roubaix earlier this year and no problems. But as you say it does not have fixing points for a rack, which I do not need for the type of riding that I attempt. However you can get racks that fit on the saddle post - but more expense I'm afraid.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The Roubaix is carbon is it not? I do have a carbon roadbike already but not practical for daily commuting and pottering unfortunately. Also a rather valuable bike to leave out and about regularly!

Have to say, I don't think frame material makes a whole lot of difference in terms of defining comfort. Steel/aluminium bikes can be built thick walled or thin walled, carbon layups can be altered - and all will give different ride characteristics accordingly. The biggest differences are going to be in contact points, like bars, saddle, tape, tyres, tyre pressures and even bike fit.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I can certainly feel the difference between my 3 bikes. Finding a comfortable every day commuter / potterer is proving challenging!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess. Just I can't keep buying and selling bikes to find one that works, hence wondering if material makes a difference!

Teuchter

Über Member
Anecdotal experience alert...

I've often had this issue with aluminium framed bikes (including road bikes with carbon forks and a hardtail mtb with a suspension fork) but have never had an issue on any of the (many) steel framed bikes I've ridden.

I did find that fitting a shorter stem on the mtb and raising the stem on the aluminium road bike (the stem could be flipped to adjust its angle) helped a bit, for me at least. Some of my steel bikes have had longer and lower bar positions and have not given me the same issues however.

As a result I prefer steel.

Top Bottom