Most Desirable Road Bike for £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

So what's the most desirable road bike for £1k?

By desirable I mean factoring in depreciation. So which bike at this price level loses less value in say 12 months?

Depreciation is a measure desirability, but other factors are design, specification, colour scheme, brand, fit etc, many of which are very personal preferences.

What do you think?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A used road bike - ideally a bit of a classic one.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

All good answers :smile:

But if you had to buy one at £1k.......which one?

Giant Defy / Cannondale Synapse / Cube etc etc

In the past my £1k bikes have been;

Cube Peleton Race - sold after a year for £650

Dolan L'Etape - sold after a year for £675

Both great bikes which I enjoyed. Given the various bike schemes then there is often threads asking best bike etc, so hopefully this thread may help a little.

Sixmile

Veteran

Both great bikes which I enjoyed. Given the various bike schemes then there is often threads asking best bike etc, so hopefully this thread may help a little.

I purchased a Cube Peloton Race 2014 a few months ago for £420. I know it could be approaching 3 years old at this point but I've seen bikes 6 months old that were in far worse nick. Plus I think CRC had the bike down to around £700 at one stage so the seller would've been happy enough.

On another note, I bought a GT Aggressor MTB in 2005 or so for £190 new and sold it last year for £170. Not bad!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

I would go for the Canondadale. Cube i do not rate.and giant are 2a penny.

vickster

Legendary Member
A second hand one which has already depreciated. You'll still lose money, don't see as an investment

Tin Pot

Guru

With £1000 I would buy;

Cinelli experience frameset £280
Campag bullet 80s £440
Athena Groupset £385

Ok that's £1105. :sad:

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

If I was you, I would find a bike I liked enough to want to keep more than 12 months, rather than buying one that I imagine some unknown stranger might like when I was done.

Appreciate the advice. The intent of the thread is to identify what owners and potential owners personal views are, on what bike is desirable around £1k. So far the feedback has been varied but great. I wouldn't have bought Dolan and Rose bikes if I was concerned what strangers might like come resale.

Top Bottom