Most Desirable Road Bike for £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
*sorry* not within your price range but I sold a 4 year old Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra for £1650 on Ebay. Price new (from Royle's in Wilmslow)? £1749. I wasn't expecting to get a grand!

Tim Hall

Appreciate the advice. The intent of the thread is to identify what owners and potential owners personal views are, on what bike is desirable around £1k. So far the feedback has been varied but great. I wouldn't have bought Dolan and Rose bikes if I was concerned what strangers might like come resale.
But why did you flog them after a year?

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

But why did you flog them after a year?
The first bike was my introduction back into cycling after practically no riding for 10 years and was a Cube Peloton (on the advice / recommendations of forums like this), it was great but was tempted to try something different, so went for the Dolan. 3 odd years down the line I have a better appreciation of what I want from a bike based on my cycling, so have ordered a Rose.

lutonloony

Über Member
Strangely enough I am the market for a ride to work £1000. I sort of moved up from 600 to 1000 by checking/asking about spec vs price. Have arrived at the Pinnacle (Evans) Dolamite 5 hydraulic disc and 105. However I went for the full 1000 because I see it as a one off deal, so intend to keep it, not worry about resale value

In the great scheme of things the goods are only worth what someone is willing to pay

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Full ultegra or sram rival Planet X pro carbon..in the black for me...8.2+kg and all good spec for under a grand

I'm very happy with the Sram Rival one i bought. Though i preferred fluoro green to black.
As to be expected, there had to be someone who said "You could've bought better for the money", but no matter what you buy someone will tell you you could've bought better!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ste pt1

image.png
I've just picked up this
and at only £999
cube attain sl
http://www.cube.eu/uk/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-sl-blacknflashred-2016/

vickster

Legendary Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you'd procrastinated for a couple more weeks, you could have saved £100 perhaps

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival-11-road-bike. :whistle:

Yes but if i'd taken the insurers offer when my solicitor said it was fair, and not asked them to squeeze a bit more out of them i'd have been around 500 quid down. It's swings and roundabouts,or summat like that?:scratch:as they say. It is annoying though. I'm sure the same bike was over a grand the other day?

vickster

Legendary Member
It's only been a week though, you were waiting for the money for a while

For my accident, they made me a ridiculous offer very quickly. I'll probably end up setting for about 8 times more, and rather higher if the shoulder gets considered

How is the new bike? Have you put pictures anywhere?

gbb

Legendary Member
So what's the most desirable road bike for £1k?

By desirable I mean factoring in depreciation. So which bike at this price level loses less value in say 12 months?

Depreciation is a measure desirability, but other factors are design, specification, colour scheme, brand, fit etc, many of which are very personal preferences.

What do you think?
Personally i never give a fig about depreciation, its doesnt figure in my original choice.
The other desires are uniquely personal and are almost as wide as the variety of bikes available.
Colour, design, equipment, right down to the aesthetics are important and as you say, personal choices.

I'm not sure you can measure depreciation...something's worth what somone is prepared to pay on the day. Bad day, good item, you still may not realise its potential value.
My well used but well cared for Bianchi, purchased for £550, well used for circa 4 years, sold for £320...which TBH i wouldnt have paid for it, but someone was happy (i hope) with the price and what they got for it.

As a side issue, cars and depreciation....however bad you think yours is, an ex MD from a company i used to work for had a Bentley, cost circa £200K.
IIRC, he traded it in for a Continental and got £100K back for it. £100K in 2 years, maybe a bit more....thats around £1000 a WEEK in depreciation :ohmy::eek:

Top Bottom