Most important, carbon frame or higher quality components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the bike scene, I love off road stuff with family and friends, but that usually involves planning and travelling, so I mostly cycle on the roads, for this reason I've decided to treat myself to a road bike. I am looking to spend up to a £1000. I have looked at the cube peloton with alu frame, carbon forks and decent spec, I have also looked at the giant Defy 1, Both bikes seem to get good ratings. Then there's ribble who offer a bike building service, if I go there, for a £1000 I could get a full carbon bike, but with lower spec components. I know ribble get their frames from Taiwan, is this a problem or are they every bit as good as other carbon frames. Hope someone can help me make a final decision. Look forward to your experienced views.

vickster

Legendary Member
All frames come from the Far East, be it China or Taiwan etc. I don't know a lot about it, but there are different qualities of carbon fibre

Buy the bike that fits you best and is most aesthetically pleasing

What are you wanting from the bike - a good alu frame can be as light and stiff as a carbon frame, the Cannondale CAAD alu frames are extremely well regarded. What makes you think carbon is the way to go?

OP
OP
W

Wilpshire plodder

Cheers vickster, that's pretty much what the LBS said. I would be using the bike for commuting to and from work ( about 20 miles a day ) and weekend pleasure rides, I was thinking perhaps a carbon bike would be more comfortable to ride.
But is it worth paying more for the frame and using cheaper components.

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem with carbon frames and commuting is fitting a fixed rack (you can't) and decent muguards - again very difficult as they don't have the right holes (or indeed any holes)

A high quality alu frame with carbon forks that fits you well will be as comfortable - proper fit is ultimately what makes a frame comfortable, not the material

I'd look at the Cannondale CAAD or Synapse (more relaxed geometry, like the Defy) with either Tiagra or 105. You might be able to find a good deal on a 2012 model

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
We get this questions all the time (try the search function!), to sum it up, the frame is the heart of the bike and will be one of the largest factors on ride quality and/or performance. Groupset components will not change the feel of the bike a great deal (within brands, different brands feel very different to each other). Mostly as you go up the ranks in groupset, you save weight and get nicer looking components (there is of course some performance gains, but nothing like those of riding a better frame). Further you can upgrade your groupset bit by bit as parts wear out, and they will! In short, buy the bike with the better frame (not necessarily carbon).

vickster

Legendary Member
Time to test ride it then. Make sure you spend time with them choosing the right size. I can't bear black bikes so no stealth for me!

Kies

I have the 2012 Defy 1, i bought it after riding the Cube peleton race and the CAAD 8.
I immediately knew the defy was for me and havn't regretted it since. My plan is to keep it running 105,but buy some quality wheels and tyres as they wear out.
Ultegra maybe a possibility (depending on price)

The problem with carbon frames and commuting is fitting a fixed rack (you can't) and decent muguards - again very difficult as they don't have the right holes (or indeed any holes)

A high quality alu frame with carbon forks that fits you well will be as comfortable - proper fit is ultimately what makes a frame comfortable, not the material

I'd look at the Cannondale CAAD or Synapse (more relaxed geometry, like the Defy) with either Tiagra or 105. You might be able to find a good deal on a 2012 model

One of teh few carbon bikes I have found with proper mudguard mounts is the Jamis Endura, which is on sale at evans cycles

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Ribble get some of their frames from Dedacciai (Italy) who design the bike and then get them made up in Taiwan or China as more or less all major manufacturers do.

If money is a limiting factor then as a generalisation a £500 alloy frame will be a bit more responsive and a £500 carbon frame will be a bit more comfortable by limiting road buzz.

With the state of roads as they are round here I have gone fully carbon.

Top Bottom