Most layers ever??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jet

Veteran
Just had to share my outfit from todays ride - 5 long sleeved layers.
Its a wonder I could move my arms round enough to grip the handlebars!! Just wondered whats the most layers anyone else has worn??

And I would also like to introduce my new best friend - Mr Neoprene Booties.
How could you have been missing from my life all this time??
Its definitely true love. :girl:

Attachments

• IMG_4044.JPG
    IMG_4044.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 131

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I usually get away with 3 layers and when it is really cold 5 layers, also at this time of year I always wear my Endura Rubber Overshoes keeps the cold and the wet out but a bugger if you need to adjust your shoes or you get an itch.

endura-road-overshoes.jpg

MisterStan

Label Required
Throughout the winter, i've varied between two and three layers on my commute. Usually a long sleeved base layer, a short sleeved jersey and a long sleeved jersey.
Non padded tights over my bibs.
Winter boots have changed my life for the better - one good pair of cycling socks and them is all i need.
Gloves, usually the one pair of Altura Night Vision winter gloves, but if i'm feeling the cold, then a pair of cheap liner gloves makes things better.
A buff and a wooly hat completes the ensemble.

djb1971

Legendary Member
5 LS layers!! That would irritate me, I hate wearing wearing winter layers.

I'm currently on
3/4 roubaix bibs
Unpadded tights
Merino LS top
Jacket
Merino socks
Skull cap
Sidi goretex boots, no overshoes
PI Pittard winter gloves

And the most important item

BUFF!

If you get cold find a steep hill :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yep... two layers here; merino base layer and dhb winter jacket. Bottoms are a pair of budget dhb shorts under some Lusso tights, much stitched and patched after years of mountain biking abuse. Regular summer shoes with Endura neoprene overs and a buff under helmet.

HovR

Über Member
Been wearing 4 or 5 upper layers regularly through the winter! I normally wear a short sleeve base layer, followed by a cheap short sleeve jersey, a cheap long sleeve jersey, a Helley Hansen long sleeve jersey, and finally my club long sleeve jersey.

Most of my kit is really quite light weight summer kit, so I've just been layering it up and it doesn't feel bulky at all. Sometimes I won't wear one of the cheap jerseys, but since it tends to be below zero when setting out it's really quite chilly. If it warms up I can easily remove a layer or two.

DWiggy

Über Member
3 layers for me, Neoprene BBB over shoes, DHB leg warmers, DHB wind slam full tights, short sleeve base layer, merino long sleeve, DHB wind slam Jacket, Balaclava worn down to -5 and been fine...yes im a riding advertisement for wiggle...great stuff though ;)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Now that it's mild I'm down to 4 layers. :cold:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only two usually. Zero or below I have a thermal windproof, from about 3c plus then its a soft shell and then 10c plus its normal jersey. Always wear a base layer.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
4 max usually, however 2 are only long sleeve. I have different base layers of different thicknesses so that I can swap them out depending on temperature.

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Ok either I'm seriously nesh or you guys are seriously hardcore.
2 or 3 layers?!?!?!?!? :ohmy:
You have got to be kidding me.

Think I'll have to check out this merino stuff a few of you have mentioned. It must have magical properties.
I have to say with my thermal, biking top, micro fleece, shock absorber hoodie and windstopper jacket I was ..... ok.
Warm is probably too strong a word....Tepid is probably nearer the mark!

Typhon

Just 1 layer for me - DHB bib tights and jersey. I change the bib tights depending on the weather. Apart from some dhb thermal socks and campagnolo gloves that's all I wear. I only cycle in the afternoons so it's almost always above 0C though.

I wore a base layer once when it was -3C. So I guess my answer to the question is two layers.

Top Bottom