Most pointless certificate, qualification etc etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

A company I worked for sent a coachload of us to spend a day clearing a patch of wasteland of small trees and brambles as part of its committment to the community and the environment. After 4 hours of sawing down saplings with a extended pub lunch too we were all awarded with a 'Certificate in Basic Woodland Management' from Salford Council.

simoncc said:
A company I worked for sent a coachload of us to spend a day clearing a patch of wasteland of small trees and brambles as part of its committment to the community and the environment. After 4 hours of sawing down saplings with a extended pub lunch too we were all awarded with a 'Certificate in Basic Woodland Management' from Salford Council.

Thus qualifying you to work in Salford Council's Woodland Management department?

Maz

Guru
A trophy shop in Hull won a trophy for being the best trophy shop in East Yorkshire.
Come on, they probably knocked it up themselves...

SamNichols

Staff cadet status: Air Training Corps. I had to do exams, interviews and everything.
Duke of Edinburgh: Silver
I have a communications instructor badge for scouts.
Royal Yachting Association: Silver.
And certificates for various skills sessions such as: Training for Trainers, Management, Communication Skills

As you can tell, I've spent most of my life collecting pointless qualifications. Mostly they were for the dreaded UCAS form, which is a deeply pointless piece of bureaucracy. You learn soon after that all you've ever achieved is summed up in a 500 word or less personal statement, and that after that it is of no use whatsoever.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I still have a certificate from 1973 from the Barnet and District football sunday league for being the runners up in division 2 that year. I now get certs from work having attended various courses and refresher traning. We get one for each and every course.

ChrisKH

Guru
SamNichols said:
Staff cadet status: Air Training Corps. I had to do exams, interviews and everything.
Duke of Edinburgh: Silver
I have a communications instructor badge for scouts.
Royal Yachting Association: Silver.
And certificates for various skills sessions such as: Training for Trainers, Management, Communication Skills

As you can tell, I've spent most of my life collecting pointless qualifications. Mostly they were for the dreaded UCAS form, which is a deeply pointless piece of bureaucracy. You learn soon after that all you've ever achieved is summed up in a 500 word or less personal statement, and that after that it is of no use whatsoever.

Don't put yourself down Sam. They look worthwhile to me. My wife used to run train the trainer courses.

I forgot that I got an extremely large shield when I was 13, along with four other boys (I had defected from Scouts to the Boys Brigade at that time) for coming first against other Brigades in a church competition judging us on our knowledge of the Miracles of Jesus.

SamNichols

I'm not putting myself down whatsoever, just the badge collecting nature of middle-class teenage youth. I went to a Secondary School where 96% went on to university, and thus we were forced into a very warped view of life (not helped by it being a Boys' School).
As you get older, perhaps you learn that the achievements aren't all that worthwhile. As I hope to one day be a professional writer, even a CV seems like an enormously pointless drag to me.

Top Bottom