Most powerful gear set up on flat surfaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
You'll soon know when you start pedalling. Big ring at the front, smallest cog at the back.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It will depend on your realtive cardiovascular and leg strength.

If you have really strong legs you may find that grinding the biggest gear you have produces your highest speed on the flat. However if you have superior cardio vascular fitness that your leg strength can't keep up with, then you may find that a lower gear but turning the cranks faster yields a higher speed on the flat.

If you have really strong legs you may find that grinding the biggest gear you have produces your highest speed on the flat. However if you have superior cardio vascular fitness that your leg strength can't keep up with, then you may find that a lower gear but turning the cranks faster yields a higher speed on the flat.
If your legs hurt more than your legs, gear up, if your lungs hurt more than your legs, gear down.
If your lungs and legs both hurt the same, tell them to shut up.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member

Thanks, I have strong legs and weigh about 105kg at 6'4.

So think power is what I have, but trying to build up my cardio.

At 6'4" with loads of power you may not have the quickest legs. A long crank pedalled more slowly in a higher gear may be a better way to harness you power. 175mm is the largest you normally find but longer ones are available at a price. As a newbie check that you have 175 not 170 and live with it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Strong legs means you can apply a lot of force in each pedal stroke but not necessarily power as you need cardio as well. Power is a combination of how much force per pedal stroke and how frequently that force is applied I.e. cadence.

boydj

Legendary Member
Use your gears the way you would in a car - the aim is to have your legs spinning at a comfortable rate without a great deal of effort - too slow and you burn your muscle, too fast and your heart-lung system will suffer first. Cycling is primarily an endurance sport, relying on your aerobic system to allow you to go out for relatively long periods. Clearly there no way round putting in a big effort to get up a steep hill, but if your training is focussed on endurance, then you'll be able to recover from the effort on the hill quite quickly.

CXRAndy

Guru
Lots of elements come into play, gearing, rider power, cadence rider is comfortable maintaining and aero drag. I have and can use at a lowish cadence 56*11 on a TT bike on the flat and certainly downhill ^_^

I have this gearing not specifically for top speed, but it does come in handy with a tailwind and slope. what it does is it brings the chain into better alignment when on the 13,14,15 cogs

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The optimum cadence for aerobic efficiency is pretty low, usually around 60 rpm. You can experiment on a turbo trainer to see what gear gives you the highest road speed for a given heart rate. This might be suitable for a flat "10".

However, there is a trade-off. Your knees are better off with lower torque and higher speed and mashing a big gear will give you big heavy legs. Also, what's aerobically efficient is not necessarily the best for all-day stamina as the muscles will tire even though your heart and lungs are comfortable.

Pro racers pedal at about 100rpm in all-day races for the above reasons. In a shortish TT you might see them pushing a bigger gear.

Top Bottom