most puncture resistant tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I've been running Michlin Krylion Carbons for some time now and can't fault them. they've done well over 3000 miles if not 4000 and I've hardly puntured (touch wood) with them

Tynan

Veteran
I'm always surprised with the state of an old tyre when I fit a new one, the new one always looks hard and invulnerable while the old one suddenly looks soft and weedy and tattered

stay out of the gutters and the margins if poss, spec after rain

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User482 said:
I've done around 2,000 miles on Panaracer Pasela Tourguards. No punctures yet, despite a fair few glass covered cyclepaths. Specialized armadillos were also good (only one puncture I think) but they weighed a lot and didn't roll well.

I'm using the Pasela myself (on the rear wheel) at the moment. Had one flat so far, but it was a pinch flat caused by a horrendous wheel eater of a pot hole, so I can't really blame the tyre. It feels a little more skittish in the wet than my Bontrager Racelite XL did, but seems to roll nicely enough.

Incidentally, my version has a "natural" rubber coloured sidewall, giving the tyre a pleasantly old school appearance, imo.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Tynan said:
I'm always surprised with the state of an old tyre when I fit a new one, the new one always looks hard and invulnerable while the old one suddenly looks soft and weedy and tattered
yes, I remember thinking exactly the same thing when i fitted my spesh aramdillos the other day. They seem to roll quite well, although i have pumped them up well

Tynan

Veteran
I'd have thought roads were worse in London and I've never really had much problem with punctures other than when the tyres needed replacing, new tyres are notably less prone

Of course these new fangled kevlar belts are a good thing but I don't think the problem is serious enough to make it compromise roll, price or ease of use

OP
OP
B

bonj2

RedBike said:
lol, specialized armadillos rolling well.

Are you joking, they weigh a ton and the ride is terrible!

oh don't be such a twit, course they roll well! they're 700x23c ROAD tyres! :biggrin: they roll just as well or not as well as any other road bike tyres, if you pump them up to the same pressure they've got exactly the same contact patch. :rolleyes:and probably even the same/very similar outer skin material, shape and weight. You would seem to be just reciting what you've read elsewhere. Weight difference between any two different tyres is probably only going to be in double figures of grams. Only significant difference is layers, and bead.

Blue

Legendary Member
Are you positive you didn't have a fine sliver of glass in the tyre - they are much harder to see than a thorn. When you inspected the tube were the holes always in the same area - you didn't say. I once had the same problem as you and found it took a very, very close inspection of the tyre to find the offending glass. Such slivers seem to take a few miles of rolling to scratch a hole in the tube.

Getting a lot of punctures is supposed to be a sign of the need for tyre replacement, although a sliver of glass moving around in a crack or hole in the tyre can cause the problem.

I have found that I get almost all of my punctures in winter - the wet obviously lets crap like glass stick to the tyre and dig its way in as the wheel rolls along. As someone mentioned already, it helps to inspect the tyres after every ride - although I once removed a piece of embedded glass and had an immediate deflation, my moving the glass during removal obviously did the job a few more miles of cycling would have done - just didn't find the glass before it got deep enough to do damage to the tube :biggrin:

U

User482

bonj said:
oh don't be such a twit, course they roll well! they're 700x23c ROAD tyres! ;) they roll just as well or not as well as any other road bike tyres, if you pump them up to the same pressure they've got exactly the same contact patch. :rolleyes:and probably even the same/very similar outer skin material, shape and weight. You would seem to be just reciting what you've read elsewhere. Weight difference between any two different tyres is probably only going to be in double figures of grams. Only significant difference is layers, and bead.

Yet again you reveal your ignorance. I had Armadillo 700x25c on my bike. They were over 150g per tyre heavier than my 28c Paselas, and they rolled very poorly. It's very noticeable when freewheeling in a group, and very noticeable when you change to a better tyre, as I have done.

User482 said:
Yet again you reveal your ignorance. I had Armadillo 700x25c on my bike. They were over 150g per tyre heavier than my 28c Paselas, and they rolled very poorly. It's very noticeable when freewheeling in a group, and very noticeable when you change to a better tyre, as I have done.
On my Sirrus I have a plain Nimbus on the front and a Armadillo Nimbus on the rear, its been pretty bomb proof but given the comments here I might consider changing.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Whilst on about tyres, Has anyone used or have an opinion on Schwalbe Stelvio tyres? My Gatorskins are now getting too many punctures and are need of replacement. My LBS has these Schwalbe in stock. Are they worht the price tag of £29.99. He said I could have a pair for £50.

U

User482

HLaB said:
On my Sirrus I have a plain Nimbus on the front and a Armadillo Nimbus on the rear, its been pretty bomb proof but given the comments here I might consider changing.

Depends what you use it for. I wouldn't bother for commuting (you could change them when they wear out), but I think you'd find the difference worthwhile for longer rides.

User482 said:
Depends what you use it for. I wouldn't bother for commuting (you could change them when they wear out), but I think you'd find the difference worthwhile for longer rides.
I'm currently using the Sirrus for winter club runs and light day touring, 40-60 rides miles at this time of year and occaisionally longer in summer/wet.

RedBike

oh don't be such a twit, course they roll well! they're 700x23c ROAD tyres! :wacko: they roll just as well or not as well as any other road bike tyres, if you pump them up to the same pressure they've got exactly the same contact patch. :rolleyes:and probably even the same/very similar outer skin material, shape and weight. You would seem to be just reciting what you've read elsewhere. Weight difference between any two different tyres is probably only going to be in double figures of grams. Only significant difference is layers, and bead.
You are joking, aren't you?
I have no idea how much the tyres weigh. However, compared to something like the GP4000's they are noticeably heavier and slower. They're designed for commuting/ touring. They're not even remotely similar to race tyres (even though they might be the same width).

Rolling resistance is the energy used (wasted) in deforming the tyre. The Armadillos have a very impressive puncture protection system. Unfortunately this 'belt' doesn't flex very well which is why the tyres give a harsh ride and have a high rolling resistance.

If you don't believe me go and beg or borrow a set of wheel fitted with a good set of tubs.

Top Bottom