Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have seen a lot of things in my time, and I think the one that made me go "What, that is it, really ?" was the Angel of the North - I had expected an enormous statue standing astride the gateway to Newcastle/Gateshead - but what it turned out to be was a rather uninspiring weirdly shaped angel plonked next to the M1.

In comparison, the Sagrada Família in Barcelona was breath-taking. The outside was a mishmash of shapes with no discernible reason or logic, but inside it was simply superb; the words "awe-inspiring" doesn't do it justice.

crazyjoe101

I wouldn't call it touristy per say but visiting some of the sites around the Somme was very sobering and is probably the most memorable place I have visited. A close second is Mont Saint Michel in Normandy, absolutely spectacular place to visit and very easy to imagine during medieval times and I'm not in the least bit surprised it was never successfully besieged. Can't think of anywhere underwhelming for the moment.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have seen a lot of things in my time, and I think the one that made me go "What, that is it, really ?" was the Angel of the North - I had expected an enormous statue standing astride the gateway to Newcastle/Gateshead - but what it turned out to be was a rather uninspiring weirdly shaped angel plonked next to the M1.

In comparison, the Sagrada Família in Barcelona was breath-taking. The outside was a mishmash of shapes with no discernible reason or logic, but inside it was simply superb; the words "awe-inspiring" doesn't do it justice.

Not wanting to be pedantic, but, I will..... the Angel of the North is alongside the A1(M), not the M1.

Can't say it inspires me.

U

User482

Never been to Brussels then?

(maybe NSFW)
Even better, there is a museum dedicated to the various items of clothing it has worn over the years. There is a reason why I know this...

petek

Über Member
Anyone who is tired of Lincolnshire is tired of life.
Lincoln Cathedral just won the Cathedrals World Cup for best Cathedral. The Lincolnshire Wolds beats the Cotswolds into a cocked hat. We have some of the finest beaches in the UK here in Lincolnshire plus more nature reserves than any other county in England.
As far as other over/underwhelming places go..
Taj Mahal at dawn.
Breathtakingly beautiful.
Donna Nook between late October and Christmas for the seal pups.
Amazing.
Sagrada Famiglia in Barcelona.
What a mess. A kid could have designed a better looking cathedral.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was underwhelmed when I went to Stonehenge. It may have changed, but at the time the closest one could get was still so far away that the version of Stonehenge used in Spinal Tap actually looked about the right size.

Me too. For some reason I thought it would be much bigger then it actually is. I'm not sure why. But yes, twas a tad disappointing for me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The Grassington Christmas Market, absolutely rubbish and totally hard sell.
Manchester Christmas market must run a close 2nd unless you REALLY REALLY like German sausages. Don't get me wrong.......the market is big....but its rows and rows of stalls selling exactly the same things.
Mind you it was cold and raining when we went so that didn'thelp.

Top Bottom