Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's great that you came away with a positive impression of London!. I love the place, and lived and worked there for many years, all my kids were born there, one lives there now, and I love getting the occasional 'London-fix'. Always happy to return to the tranquility of Northumberland though :smile:

Talking of which: Holy Island/Lindisfarne: when not packed with tourists, it's just beautiful. Stay overnight if you can, take a walk out towards the casle and listen to the eerie sound of the seals.
I used to occasionally ride up that way as a kid, although I do remember it being a bit touristy the odd time we took a family drive out. I love that stretch of coast from Boulmer up to the bird sanctuary at Low Newton and used to walk it quite a lot in my yoof.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Didn't you post that once before @John the Monkey ?

I remember watching this and found it fascinating, despite me not really being into this sort of painting
Gosh, possibly - I like it very much, partly because listening to someone who knows a lot about something talking about it is usually good, and partly because of how deeply the Haywain is embedded in our national consciousness as a sort of safe, chocolate boxy "proper" painting - it was a real eye opener for me to realise how radical it was in its time.

There's a series of these National Gallery talks on various paintings (including at least one of their Canalettos) and I think they're all pretty good.

Anyway, glad you liked it!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Underwhelmed.... Blackpool.

Overwhelmed.... Crocodile Rock, on the Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland. This major tourist attraction is only a 10 minute ferry journey and a 20 minute cycle from where I live, but I somehow don't find the time to visit often enough. You can keep your Venice, Yosemite, Niagara falls, Maldives, Seychelles, Taj Mahal, Sydney Opera House, Hanging gardens of Babylon, herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the Serengeti, and all your other tourist tat. This is the real deal.......

3853546.jpg

Last edited:
Malham - Janets Foss - Gordale Scar - walk.

"This spectacular walk is the southern Yorkshire Dales classic and probably the most popular of all walks in the National Park. And that includes the Three Peaks"

I did this last Saturday, it was a typical Dales day, a slate grey sky with b.l.e.a.k surroundings, one tree per mile, weirdos galore putting their Jack Wolkskin gear into action, creaking their aged limbs over stiles at 1 metre per minute (there were queues) and the whole thing just pissing me off. I counted down the minutes to Skipton pub time.

It was also a standard field trip when I did O level Geology. Happy memories.

Malham - Janets Foss - Gordale Scar - walk.

"This spectacular walk is the southern Yorkshire Dales classic and probably the most popular of all walks in the National Park. And that includes the Three Peaks"

I did this last Saturday, it was a typical Dales day, a slate grey sky with b.l.e.a.k surroundings, one tree per mile, weirdos galore putting their Jack Wolkskin gear into action, creaking their aged limbs over stiles at 1 metre per minute (there were queues) and the whole thing just pissing me off. I counted down the minutes to Skipton pub time.
Which pub did you end up in?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Gosh, possibly - I like it very much, partly because listening to someone who knows a lot about something talking about it is usually good, and partly because of how deeply the Haywain is embedded in our national consciousness as a sort of safe, chocolate boxy "proper" painting - it was a real eye opener for me to realise how radical it was in its time.

There's a series of these National Gallery talks on various paintings (including at least one of their Canalettos) and I think they're all pretty good.

Anyway, glad you liked it!

Not that I'm stalking you

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-documentaries-did-you-watch-last-night.194108/post-4806348

I just remember it as a fascinating insight into, as you say, what I previously considered to be a rather boring biscuit barrel lid painting

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Harry Potter studio tour , over priced, overrated and boring .

Top Bottom