Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As previously mentioned, I do have a good chuckle when I discover things that are really crap. As a Brummie myself, don't tell anyone I said this, but Birmingham's "Broad Street Walk of Stars" takes some beating as a tourist let-down. Think Hollywood. Think stars set in concrete on the pavement, celebrating the illuminati. Then add a Brummie twist to it by celebrating only Brummie "celebrities" and it starts to get good. Or bad. (If you know what I mean).

Among the stars on display: Ozzie Osborne, Jeff Lynne (ELO frontman) and Jasper Carrott, .... Not massive A-listers on a world stage, but sort of fair enough, so far. You don't have to walk too far, though, to start coming across stars dedicated to the likes of Bob Carrolgees (70's TV sidekick of "Spit the Dog") and Gary Newbon (TV football commentator, about whom every ground he attended resounded inevitably to the strains of "Gary Newbon, you're a w****r").

I actually quite like it in a way, but 'm not sure whether that is because it celebrates the familiar or whether it is just that you absolutely know that everyone who isn't a Brummie will be wetting themselves at the sight of it. They'll not be bussing Japanese tourists in to see it for a while yet.
Brilliant, i walked down there a few years ago when i visited birmingham for a training day.
I was laughing evertime i came across a new star, one of them was the whole aston villa team.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As previously mentioned, I do have a good chuckle when I discover things that are really crap. As a Brummie myself, don't tell anyone I said this, but Birmingham's "Broad Street Walk of Stars" takes some beating as a tourist let-down. Think Hollywood. Think stars set in concrete on the pavement, celebrating the illuminati. Then add a Brummie twist to it by celebrating only Brummie "celebrities" and it starts to get good. Or bad. (If you know what I mean).

Among the stars on display: Ozzie Osborne, Nigel Mansell, Julie Walters, Jeff Lynne (ELO frontman) and Jasper Carrott, .... Not massive A-listers on a world stage, but sort of fair enough, so far. You don't have to walk too far, though, to start coming across stars dedicated to the likes of Bob Carrolgees (70's TV sidekick of "Spit the Dog") and Gary Newbon (TV football commentator, about whom every ground he attended resounded inevitably to the strains of "Gary Newbon, you're a w****r").

I actually quite like it in a way, but 'm not sure whether that is because it celebrates the familiar or whether it is just that you absolutely know that everyone who isn't a Brummie will be wetting themselves at the sight of it. They'll not be bussing Japanese tourists in to see it for a while yet.

View attachment 384530
I went out on the razz in 2010 in Brum with various members of Dexys (one of my fave bands, it was a one-off Dexys-related event)... my first time in Brum since the 1980s. Great place, with a great history!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The cathedral in Cordoba. Wow! Genuinely the single most impressive building I've ever been in. It is just unbelievable. Worth doing a considerable journey just to visit the one building. Cordoba is worth a visit anyway, but that building is extraordinay.

NickNick

Overwhelming:
- On one of the very rare times have both has some time off and finally got round to going to the Tate Modern, love so much of the art, but the building in itself is mind boggling.
- Almost 10yrs ago now that I was there, but its still vividly fresh in my mind, was the caves in Jeita Lebanon, the sections you walk around are amazing, but then you get to go on a boat ride through the caves and I've never seen anything quite so stunning.
1-jpg.jpg

2-jpg.jpg

Think the bulk of the favourite touristy sites I've been to have all been in Lebanon, although had some great times in Norway.

Most underwhelming:
- Birmingham museum

Attachments

• IgAIUs3NI7.jpg
    IgAIUs3NI7.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 1-jpg.jpg
    1-jpg.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

TVC

Maldives
Just plain boring. Nothing to see or do except sit around looking at the sea, eating and drinking yourself stupid.

I was dragged there a few times by Mrs Ian. I would be happy never to see the place again.

Yeah sure it has the lovely white beaches and clear blue sea with lot's of fishes to gawp at when snorkelling.
But that is it.. nothing else.

It's just that I find sitting on a beach day's on end the height of boredom.
We did the Maldives for a week, fantastic diving and snorkling as you say, but by the end we were ready to leave and I doubt we will go back. Definitely a case of do it once and move on.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Technically I'm not answering the OP's question correctly as I didn't see the goddamned Mouflon after a long trudge in blistering Cypriot heat to a scratty wire compound with a shed in it. Presumably the buggers were inside it.

Underwhelmed I certainly was.

Here's one of the shy critters:

Mouflon.png

Lake Garda. Stunning places with lovely people. Moving from place to place on the ferries. The different personalities of the lakeside towns. Walking through the streets of Garda, taking a tour and learning it's history, then taking a quiet walk on the waterfront, and enjoying a Spritz while the sun sets.

Cycling is big there too. Nice to see them.

I'm afraid I've got to agree about Skegness. I don't want to go there again.

Blackpool is the worst for me. Made grubby by shops selling sex toys, and stag and hen parties barfing in the street.

The last time I was in Paignton, as soon as it went dark it became deserted and unfriendly. Some scumbag nicked the valve caps off the car tyres too. I'm afraid the childhood magic is gone.

gbb

Legendary Member
Knossos palace in Crete, seat of the Minoan civilisation, quite remarkable.
There is what I'd call a walled avenue that' as straight as a die, leading into or out of the complex, don' know why but I was impressed by it, you could almost imagine people of that time walking down it.
But then I love anything Greek :okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Overwhelming:
- On one of the very rare times have both has some time off and finally got round to going to the Tate Modern, love so much of the art, but the building in itself is mind boggling.
- Almost 10yrs ago now that I was there, but its still vividly fresh in my mind, was the caves in Jeita Lebanon, the sections you walk around are amazing, but then you get to go on a boat ride through the caves and I've never seen anything quite so stunning.
View attachment 384541
View attachment 384542

Think the bulk of the favourite touristy sites I've been to have all been in Lebanon, although had some great times in Norway.

Most underwhelming:
- Birmingham museum
That top photo looks the Cenote at Ik Kil in Mexico. Are you sure that is the right picture. I have been there and it is truly amazing. I was just annoyed that I didn’t have my swimsuit.

NickNick

That top photo looks the Cenote at Ik Kil in Mexico. Are you sure that is the right picture. I have been there and it is truly amazing. I was just annoyed that I didn’t have my swimsuit.

Yes you're right, copied wrong link :blush:

E2A: Have switched it over with correct pic

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That was on my list to visit. Is it not that good then ?
Depends, I would say, is the answer. I enjoyed it, but then Derwent, in various forms, have been a part of my artistic life since primary school, and there's a fair bit of nostalgia there for me. The displays of their old products in particular, as they had the same mixed grade set of Graphic pencils that I did my art o-level with. If you take nippers, the quiz is fun, and they will get either a pencil or a pin badge if they hand in the comelted sheet at the end. There's also a well equipped drawing station at the back where they can doodle and colour to their hearts content using Derwent products.

Top Bottom