Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Skegness #nuffsaid

One of my worst childhood holidays was two weeks in Butlins Skegness

The first week, you couldn't go out anywhere due to a plague of greenfly
and the second week it was flash floods

The Cinema only had two films ("National Velvet" and "The Four Feathers") and two Tom & Jerry Cartoons (the later crap animation ones)
You weren't allowed to bump the dodgems and all the other rides were either closed or continuously breaking down

Still, we got to canoe around the chalets. Where else (apart from Venice) can you do that ?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Really? York Minster's a fabulous building

When you grew up literally in the shadow of Gloucester Cathedral, as I did, York Minster is more than a bit of a let down. Maybe it was all the hype surrounding the Minster and the expectation that it must be greater, grander, more magnificent than Gloucester Catherdral, but when we went on school trip there many years ago I found it wasn't.

I can't decide on Venice. I'd go back but my better half :girldance: wouldn't.

For:
Architecture, exploring, history, food, big boats, hidden restaurants.

Against:
Gondola ripoff, street sellers, smell, overcrowded with tourists, padlocks, graffiti.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When you grew up literally in the shadow of Gloucester Cathedral, as I did, York Minster is more than a bit of a let down. Maybe it was all the hype surrounding the Minster and the expectation that it must be greater, grander, more magnificent than Gloucester Catherdral, but when we went on school trip there many years ago I found it wasn't.

Granted it's not the only fine cathedral in the country; Salisbury and St Paul's for instance are awsome buildings too, but that doesn't devalue York. Despite living in 'Naam for a couple of decades I'm ashamed to admit I never visited Glouscester Cathedral.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Maldives
Just plain boring. Nothing to see or do except sit around looking at the sea, eating and drinking yourself stupid.

I was dragged there a few times by Mrs Ian. I would be happy never to see the place again.

Yeah sure it has the lovely white beaches and clear blue sea with lot's of fishes to gawp at when snorkelling.
But that is it.. nothing else.

It's just that I find sitting on a beach day's on end the height of boredom.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Can't agree more with the beach bit. Why travel to somewhere where all you do is sit down in the baking sun and drink and eat?

So, overwhelming: Costa Rica. It's the perfect place for beachgoers and people who want to do something! It ranks as our all time favourite family holiday, everyone was happy and there is something for anyone.

Maldives
Just plain boring. Nothing to see or do except sit around looking at the sea, eating and drinking yourself stupid.

I was dragged there a few times by Mrs Ian. I would be happy never to see the place again.

Yeah sure it has the lovely white beaches and clear blue sea with lot's of fishes to gawp at when snorkelling.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Maldives

I splashed out on Mauritius for our honeymoon. The first night the buffet (Italian) was "WOW!". The second night (Indian) was "Wow!". The third was "Ah, French tonight I see." By about day five we were both gagging for some fish & chips or a proper roast. And yes, I like hanging out on the beach as much as the next man, but every day for a fortnight...?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I splashed out on Mauritius for our honeymoon. The first night the buffet (Italian) was "WOW!". The second night (Indian) was "Wow!". The third was "Ah, French tonight I see." By about day five we were both gagging for some fish & chips or a proper roast. And yes, I like hanging out on the beach as much as the next man, but every day for a fortnight...?

I had no complaints of the food. If you didn't like the daily buffet then the chef's were happy to cook anything specific for you. And seeing I am a curry nut, then Maldivian/Sri Lankan/Indian curry food for brekkie, lunch and dinner was just fab. I'm not one for fish & chips or roasts though.

Maldives

Yeah sure it has the lovely white beaches and clear blue sea

You can get those two attractions in the Outer Hebrides, or Western Isles as they like to call themselves these days.

Or if you feel that might be a tad nippy, not travel anywhere near as far and pop to Sardinia.

Better coffee no doubt.

Better wine.

Some of the beer not bad.

And you could do some pedaling.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Overwhelmed or underwhelmed, you didn't say? Anyway if you find Skeggy a bit too full on then there's always Ingoldmells.
It was both, to be honest.
I see your Imdoldmells, and raise you Trusthorpe, the poor little sister of Mablethorpe :smile:

Reactions: TVC

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You can get those two attractions in the Outer Hebrides, or Western Isles as they like to call themselves these days.

Or if you feel that might be a tad nippy, not travel anywhere near as far and pop to Sardinia.

Better coffee no doubt.

Better wine.

Some of the beer not bad.

And you could do some pedaling.

It is and always has been, the Utter Hebrides.

Thank you Angus Ogg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
As previously mentioned, I do have a good chuckle when I discover things that are really crap. As a Brummie myself, don't tell anyone I said this, but Birmingham's "Broad Street Walk of Stars" takes some beating as a tourist let-down. Think Hollywood. Think stars set in concrete on the pavement, celebrating the illuminati. Then add a Brummie twist to it by celebrating only Brummie "celebrities" and it starts to get good. Or bad. (If you know what I mean).

Among the stars on display: Ozzie Osborne, Nigel Mansell, Julie Walters, Jeff Lynne (ELO frontman) and Jasper Carrott, .... Not massive A-listers on a world stage, but sort of fair enough, so far. You don't have to walk too far, though, to start coming across stars dedicated to the likes of Bob Carrolgees (70's TV sidekick of "Spit the Dog") and Gary Newbon (TV football commentator, about whom every ground he attended resounded inevitably to the strains of "Gary Newbon, you're a w****r").

I actually quite like it in a way, but 'm not sure whether that is because it celebrates the familiar or whether it is just that you absolutely know that everyone who isn't a Brummie will be wetting themselves at the sight of it. They'll not be bussing Japanese tourists in to see it for a while yet.

upload_2017-11-24_21-32-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom