Most under/over whelming touristy thing you have seen ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I thought the Statue of Liberty would be bigger :sad:
Like the maps at school, first thing you see when approaching America :ohmy:
:laugh:

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
I must be easily overwhelmed:
Borobudur. Tanah Lot sunset. Chopper ride into the Grand Canyon. Yosemite National Park. Cirque du Soleil Eau in Vegas. Seeing the night sky in Margaret River after quaffing a bottle of Cab Sav in a jacuzzi with the MrsPie before she became the official MrsPie. Death Valley (except MrsPie would let me cycle through it). Lake Louise (and surrounding area of course). Choppering onto the Casterone pipe lay vessel in Gulf of Mexico. Chichin itza. Top of the Col dAspin is pretty nice. Sunset and dinner with the delectable MrsPie on Djimbaran beach.

swansonj

Guru
Overwhelming - walking into the Science Museum and Stephensons Rocket standing there. I stood there slack jawed, from the info card on it apparently a lot of blokes do. I hadn't realised the real one actually still existed.
Wife/kids walked past barely noticing it.
Science museum? They have an Apollo landing module which is a fake (you can tell that because (a) it stands upright under earth gravity and (b) it's here not left behind on the moon). All the visitors flock round it. The command module next to it, which gets a fifth of the attention, is the Real Thing. It is an object that has escaped from the earth, something that no one in human history did for millennia, something that none of us have been capable of, and returned. An object that has ventured into the third dimension when all of us live mundane lives in the two dimensions of the earth's surface. Now that is overwhelming.

Science museum - just brilliant. Wish we'd spent more time there than next door in the Natural History Museum.
Miss England. Flimsy boat hull - check. Massive engine - check. 'Better have somewhere to sit. Bring a couple of those wicker chairs over.' Just seemed a very British attitude towards a record attempt.

Deafie

Guru
Which side though? The US side is awful, the Canadian side much better. Speaking of which I think the falls are spectacular. Nice at night too.
I have heard this! I saw the US side and it was the single most dissapointing episode of my life! What a dismal shithole! a car park and some corrugated iron buildings selling rubbish that was so rubbish you would be embarressed to try and sell it on Times Square. Oh!~ and some water disappearing over an edge. America excells at doing stuff cheaply without insight or imagination, but making it sound incredible, daffodils!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
To anybody who goes to see the falls, I would definitely, definitely recommend you stay and view the falls from the Canadian side! That's not to say some parts aren't hokey on the Canadian side, but its nicer on the Canadian side. The USA side isn't as nice and doesn't give as good views. I also got the impression it feels safer on the Canadian side. Been 4 times, most recently 3-4 years ago.

I have heard this! I saw the US side and it was the single most dissapointing episode of my life! What a dismal shithole! a car park and some corrugated iron buildings selling rubbish that was so rubbish you would be embarressed to try and sell it on Times Square. Oh!~ and some water disappearing over an edge. America excells at doing stuff cheaply without insight or imagination, but making it sound incredible, daffodils!

Deafie

Guru
tad
To anybody who goes to see the falls, I would definitely, definitely recommend you stay and view the falls from the Canadian side! That's not to say some parts aren't hokey on the Canadian side, but its nicer on the Canadian side. The USA side isn't as nice and doesn't give as good views. I also got the impression it feels safer on the Canadian side. Been 4 times, most recently 3-4 years ago.
I went once about 22 years ago when I was an illegal immigrant so didn't cross over, If I ever am back that way I will go look at the Canadian side. Might take the train up to Montreal next year.

vickster

Legendary Member
Overwhelming...Shwedagon pagoda yesterday in Yangon, blingtastic!!

Also, Inle Lake, stunning with the mountains around

Attachments

• 3BF195CE-1372-42FC-8A0A-B5BCDD0D4673.jpeg
    3BF195CE-1372-42FC-8A0A-B5BCDD0D4673.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 3718CB5A-916E-443D-A3CA-CC7BC17D8229.jpeg
    3718CB5A-916E-443D-A3CA-CC7BC17D8229.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 55
  • C85493B7-9E65-4A80-8554-2C4987BB0D15.jpeg
    C85493B7-9E65-4A80-8554-2C4987BB0D15.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom