MOT Passed !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whoop...

MOT.jpg

What does this tell us?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the topic of elderly reliable Nissan cars, I often wished I'd kept my 1996 Nissan Micra, after selling it for £385 (along with a roof rack that cost me £150) in 2006. I wonder if it's still on the road somewhere. 🤔 An elderly man I know sold his 1996 Micra last year for £300. He told me after asking where it was, that It'd only done about 23,000 miles. I was a bit disappointed as I always liked the look of it's retro bright green metallic colour and would probably have bought it off him due to it's quirky look and no doubt reliability. The old bloke now has a 2015 Micra, so he must like them.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
My sister has had a 3 year old Corsa fail a MOT... Both our cars have never failed. Had the odd 'advisory' which I rectified after the MOT for it not to appear the next year. My wife's Yaris is 15 years old !!!

I realise this is an old post but I guess it depends on what it failed for.
My 5 yo Mazda has just failed, broken rear spring. That's apparently such a common one nowadays, it doesn't really matter the age. It didn't concern me it'd failed one so soon.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mine has to go in for her MOT on 14th. 13 years old. Failed once in that time. She won't last much longer. Its a good job I've put enough money away to buy another in the next year or 2.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
An elderly man I know sold his 1996 Micra last year for £300. He told me after asking where it was, that It'd only done about 23,000 miles. I was a bit disappointed as I always liked the look of it's retro bright green metallic colour and would probably have bought it off him due to it's quirky look and no doubt reliability.
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. A car of that age doing less than 1000 miles a year would be a money pit. Cars don't like short, irregular journeys. Start using it on a regular basis and it would be one problem after another.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. A car of that age doing less than 1000 miles a year would be a money pit. Cars don't like short, irregular journeys. Start using it on a regular basis and it would be one problem after another.

Yes, I heard/read that Micras made before a certain year (the one I saw being one of them) were susceptible to 'out of sight/view'. Meaning they looked ok on the body, but could be rusting like billyo on the sub frame and around the engine etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the topic of elderly reliable Nissan cars, I often wished I'd kept my 1996 Nissan Micra, after selling it for £385 (along with a roof rack that cost me £150) in 2006. I wonder if it's still on the road somewhere. 🤔 An elderly man I know sold his 1996 Micra last year for £300. He told me after asking where it was, that It'd only done about 23,000 miles. I was a bit disappointed as I always liked the look of it's retro bright green metallic colour and would probably have bought it off him due to it's quirky look and no doubt reliability. The old bloke now has a 2015 Micra, so he must like them.

While you're possibly right, i WOULD buy it. At £300, what's to lose ? Run it, see what happens ?
£300 buys you a clapped out old wreck nowadays. Run it, monitor it, keep it real in expectation, iypt might be the cheapest motoring you could reasonably expect.
At the end of the day, any car that age is a gamble...I'd gamble.

tyred

Legendary Member
I agree with Smoking Joe about low mileage cars but for a K11 Micra, if the body was sound, I'd take a punt and be happy to invest a bit of time if necessary. The K11 was a great car and definitely a future classic. Now is the time to buy one.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Depends, they may be a cyclist and just use it 5 times a year for round trips of 200 miles. Thus it only does long journeys. Lots of higher mileage cars will be used for commuting which will be 10 short journeys a week at least.

Top Bottom