MOT Passed !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No not me, I'd fail. :blush:

The car just passed with flying colours today - 'Beautiful as usual' the chap from the MOT place said. :thumbsup:

I'll take that, as the car is 13 years old - I've had it 12 years and it's just short of 100,000 miles !

Surprised I'd clocked up about 7,000 miles in it last year. Fortunately, that was leisure, going to and from the caravan, usually with bikes on the roof !! Commute miles were about 50 when I'd bust my ribs (3 days in the car).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
What car ? (not the magazine - it's a genuine enquiry ! :laugh:)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Nissan Primera 1.8 SVE - tonnes of toys in it (satnav - reversing camera). Mine was a pre-release car - registered Jan 2002 when the car didn't come out until March 2002. I bought it at 10 months old for a whacking £8k off list ! Bargain.

I do my own servicing though. It's probably cost £1k in garage bills over 12 years - £400 for a holed air con radiator (damage from road debris) and a new cat some years back that was £600 - had to be OEM as no-one made them. It's been a cracker - no rust at all.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

My sister has had a 3 year old Corsa fail a MOT... Both our cars have never failed. Had the odd 'advisory' which I rectified after the MOT for it not to appear the next year. My wife's Yaris is 15 years old !!!

My Alfa Spider passed yesterday too :smile:, Couple of minor faults sorted (non-MOT related) and an oil/filter change. I really can't be bothered to be crawling around under a car to do them myself any more as I used to a few years ago.
Even had bright clear blue sky on way back from garage. Flying jacket on, top down (heater full blast) and 'Mrs.Robinson' blasting out on the stereo and odd looks from other drivers. Some days things just come together.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My Alfa Spider passed yesterday too :smile:, Couple of minor faults sorted (non-MOT related) and an oil/filter change. I really can't be bothered to be crawling around under a car to do them myself any more as I used to a few years ago.
Even had bright clear blue sky on way back from garage. Flying jacket on, top down (heater full blast) and 'Mrs.Robinson' blasting out on the stereo and odd looks from other drivers. Some days things just come together.

Good deal. :thumbsup:

[attempts to suppress envy ...

... fails dismally :sad:]
Is that the classic, drop-dead gorgeous Spider - the 2000 Super Veloce ???

Is that the classic, drop-dead gorgeous Spider - the 2000 Super Veloce ???
Unfortunately no. It's a 2003 Twin Spark
69_1.jpg

But I have a cunning plan. It is very wide, making it very difficult to get out of once it's in the garage, probably not much more than a foot of clearance. A Veloce is a fair bit narrower, I keep pointing this out to Mrs.PM and how it would make it possible for her to get it into and out of the garage so she would be able to use it. Downside is of course she would use it.

Where else would you want to swap present car for an older one?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Unfortunately no. It's a 2003 Twin Spark
69_1.jpg

But I have a cunning plan. It is very wide, making it very difficult to get out of once it's in the garage, probably not much more than a foot of clearance. A Veloce is a fair bit narrower, I keep pointing this out to Mrs.PM and how it would make it possible for her to get it into and out of the garage so she would be able to use it. Downside is of course she would use it.

Where else would you want to swap present car for an older one?

Hubba hubba. Hope you've looked after it. Love Alfa's. Had a 147 Selespeed for a while as a company car before the Primera.

young Ed

Veteran
12 years and just short of 100,000? that's nothing! we have just bought another second hand 2009 ford mondeo with about 110,000 miles at 6 years old, still slick and smooth and very nice :smile:
sent one mondeo to the scrap at about 13 or so years old with no less than 215,000 miles and the only thing that was going then and made it fail the MOT is the rear suspension, it never had anything else go on it and we drove that thing every day near on and it towed a caravan weighing over a ton up and down welsh mountains laden with 5 people, a dog and luggage and never whined! she really was abused almost but was an incredible car
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The mileage was much higher for the first 5 years of me having it, due to work, 15k plus. That droped when I changed jobs to one I could ride too. The lack of mileage munching has caused minor issues on my car, rather than the big miles. I have to make sure I drive it in Winter.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Holy thread resurrection.

The car's gone in this morning, except it's 22 and has 150,000 miles on it now - 50k in last 9 years - it's not used much now, and I have to start it once a week. It's run on Super as it doesn't like the cheap stuff which doesn't last well sat in a tank.

Fingers crossed. You never know with old cars.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Holy thread resurrection.

The car's gone in this morning, except it's 22 and has 150,000 miles on it now - 50k in last 9 years - it's not used much now, and I have to start it once a week. It's run on Super as it doesn't like the cheap stuff which doesn't last well sat in a tank.

Fingers crossed. You never know with old cars.

Did you leave the £20 note just hanging out of the ash tray for the blind tester , it always works for me ☺️

Top Bottom