MOT renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Is there a limit on how soon an MOT renewal can be booked?

I know that if MOTs are renewed less than a month before the expiry date then the extra time is added on to the cerificate. But is it possible to book the actual MOT test date more than a month in advance?

Nibor

Bewildered
I believe so I onc did it when i sold my late fathers car offering 12 months ticket as an incentive for the sale.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes. You can put an MOT on a week old car if you wanted.

So you can MOT a car with as much ticket left as you like but, as above, you can only get up to a month extra added. After thatmits just a fresh 12 month ticket.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
You can book one when you like depending on how early it is may or not effect the renewal date.
The earliest you can book one without affecting your renewal date is one month minus one day.
Anything earlier than that will change the renewal date to day of the test was booked.

simongt

Guru
Our MOT is due mid September. I booked it with our garage about two weeks ago, no problem. The car is going in a few days prior to the test expiry date in case anything crops up, then it give them time to correct the issue/s beforehand.
But the new MOT will still run from the date of the expiry of the prior one. :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's SOP to get a new MOT when selling a used car yourself, unless the existing certificate has many months to run.

DRM

Guru
Yes, had work van in for service yesterday,it's due the 1st MOT in May, the garage had switched the P.C's off, so said ring tomorrow & we'll get it booked in, I wanted it done 1st job as I'm going to wait for it, rather then take a courtesy car.

presta

Guru
You can get an MOT whenever you want. I bought my Accord when it was 2.5 years old and didn't need one, but they put 12m MOT on it for me anyway. A few years later I was fed up of the MOT running out in the holiday season, so I moved it to February instead.

Top Bottom