Mother surprised by seagull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My mum was out walking my neice today and she saw a seagull by the river (not sure what type, but one out those that hang around cities). It was choking on a bit of dark weed, or so mum thought. On closer inspection the gull was actually swallowing a chuffing great trout! This is probably normal but I've never seen or heard of this happening.

Anyone else seen similar?

Drago

Legendary Member
Walter Trout?

Slick

Guru
Big ocean going gulls aren't new. I used to enjoy watching the seals offshore tease them with some huge lumps of fish. They got them off them on the very odd occasion.

swallowing a chuffing great trout
They are not daft either. They know to swallow them head first, because a fish is streamlined for moving forward. If they swallow them tail first, the fish will get stuck and the bird will choke. They know this. Clever creatures really.

Smudge

Veteran
Ah, the 'one of those hang around in cities' species...... they're the worst. They've bulked up on landfill sites so a trout is no prob.
Although i've come into contact with some massive ones when working in Brixham, Devon (its the trawlers) but luckily i've got the first punch in.

Smudge

Veteran
Bit of bread on a hook, fly em like a kite..... Or the same bit of a bread with bicarb of soda and they explode.
i've had a sneaking suspicion that these are urban myths and no one has actually ever did it...... anyone know ?

Bit of bread on a hook, fly em like a kite..... Or the same bit of a bread with bicarb of soda and they explode.
i've had a sneaking suspicion that these are urban myths and no one has actually ever did it...... anyone know ?
Well considering they can puke on demand, and in fact do so to feed their young, I suspect these are urban myths.

Top Bottom