Motivate me please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
"I've just had to buy my first pair of trousers with a 38" waist, which was depressing"

That's your motivation:smile:

IME, if you cycle regularly you can eat more calories than you burn and still lose weight. I know that doesn't make sense, something to do with metabolic rates, possibly...whatever, it works. On the downside, stop cycling regularly and carry on eating what you were eating and the weight piles back on.

(As I've found out to my cost over the last couple of months...new job, less cycling, 1/2 stone on in no time:sad:!)

Widge

Baldy Go
Hey mr b..............................

How I empathise..........nay sympathise with you! I love to ride...(sporadically!) and recently treated myself to a new roadbike and hope to maintain some sort of regularity (in more ways than one!;))

But I too LOVE curries, Beeer, and crisps.

I too don't use a smartphone (i once had to make a mobile phone call though-so I bought one for £9.99 with £10 worth of free credit and then threw it away.....seemed a terrible waste of the worlds resources so never did it again.)

I'll be with you in the next few months as the weather turns (more) grotty!
People here are great motivators though aren't they? Its nice to have so much encouragement.

All the best of luck and fortitude, my friend.

w

Chris-H

Über Member
Really good post mate and just stick with it.When i'm lacking motivation and fed up monging on the sofa feeling drained i get out on the bike,within 10 mins i'm wide awake and lovin it.The winter time can be great,nothing better than getting home after a long cold wet ride and having a nice cuppa,shower then relaxing in front of the fire.Cycling really does get addictive,keep at it and you'll love it more and more as time goes on :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
MBE: give up the car once a week, the curry once a month, I guarantee you will loose a stone in 2 months.

Davehateshills

Are you my twin? Two months ago I was a fat (17st and a bit) 43 yr old lump who had not even thought about exercise for what seemed like a lifetime. I pulled my old mountain bike out of the shed and realized that I quite liked to trundle around. Since then I shod the beast with road tyres, bought Lycra shorts and became a 'Cyclist'. I hate the hills because I have to pedal up them with my bulk however they are getting easier. So, a few months down the line I have a proper road bike, more Lycra, less weight (about a stone) and a proper full on addiction. The Mrs thinks the aliens came and swapped me but I love it. The sense of getting out and being able to ride 20, 30 or 40 miles at a time is amazing and certainly something I never though I would be able to do. I went for a ride today and knocked 10 mins off my PB over 30 miles and yes, I did record it on Strava however a stopwatch could have told me that. A great feeling of pride and accomplishment knowing I am getting fitter and loosing the weight that I thought I never would. Stick with it, you will love it! :biggrin:

Norm

Greetings, Mr BE, and welcome to CC. I bet I was older and fatter when I returned to the pedals 3 years ago... actually, I'm probably still older and fatter but I'm a whole load fitter as well. :thumbsup:

RWright

Guru
This thread motivated me so much that I just got back from a 10 mile ride with no spare tube :tongue:....I did go with a route with a lot of businesses on it...just in case. This entire forum is a form of motivation for me. Keep at it and it gets easier, the cold weather might make it more difficult but just remember Rule #5.

Nihal

Veteran
Motivation: a few miles on the bike = 1 bar of chocolate, or 1 pint, or 6 potatoes :thumbsup:
:stop:
c993b8a3953670cf95316bb887be1126.jpg

^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
Err...I haven't learned all the rules yet but thought, for me personally, that rule #5 was the most important one. :blush:

You are, of course, correct. However, apologies if I came across as overly flippant.

Sounds like you are off to an excellent start with your cycling. Just keep at it and soon you'll not even notice the weather! Unless you're riding into a head-wind with horizontal rain, which really isn't much fun and has caused many a brave soul to question their wisdom.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I did another 6 miles this evening, so I've ridden 17 miles today. It feels like someone's swapped my legs with those of a drunk bloke. Stairs are "interesting". My bum's a bit sore but not too bad.

I then went for a curry. How many miles is 1 bhuna kufta, ½ portion mushroom pilau rice, ½ garlic nan, ¼ portion sag paneer + 1 pint of cider? I bet it's more than 17. :sad:

I'm away the weekend so won't be turning another wheel until Monday, unfortunately.

I don't think Strava's going to be that much use to me, as I don't have a posh phone. Mine will make and receive telephonic communications by way of speaking into the receiver, and these newfangled text message things. :biggrin:

Unfortunately that load of food is more like 70 miles! (I'm assuming that you have not included the free popadoms and pickles, nor the mint that you get with the bill - they still count as calories, even though the are free!) There is no direct correlation between how tired you feel and how many calories burnt. Still, you are on the way.
I'd suggest taking a few measurements. Waist and leg diameter are a couple of good starters, as is weight. Put those measurements away. Then, in a few months time when you are struggling with the cold, wet days, tempted by another curry blow-out, then get out those figures and measure yourself again. And then see how much difference you have made to yourself so far as a motivation to keep going.

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Thanks all for the supportive posts. I've just been to Amsterdam for my mate's wedding, so I've not laid a finger on the bike all weekend. I've got to pop to the PO to collect my bike lock that has arrived whilst I've been away, so this should hopefully be my last short trip in the car. For obvious reasons, I can't collect it on the bike today, as I can't lock it until I've picked up the parcel.

I like Amsterdam. It is a great place for motivation - everyone rides a bike and there are no fat people. Rose-tinted I know, but it's not so far from the truth. Pan flat though...

I have consumed about a thousand miles-worth of beer. That's going to take a bit of paying off. :ohmy:

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

I did manage to go for a quick spin after I picked up my lock. I was still feeling pretty loathsome after a weekend of excess, so didn't feel like doing anything at all. This, I thought, was precisely the reason I should go out. Just five miles to the shop and back, but enough to get the blood flowing. I feel a bit better now. :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not too keen on the cycling-for-guilt approach. You want the bike to pull you out of the house, to ask you to ride it. Sort out a route that takes you somewhere you haven't been before, or to a favourite spot. Enjoy the experience.

And next time you have a weekend of excess, do the big rides before-hand. Make the excess the reward for good miles put in already, rather than the pleasure before the guilt. In that way, you are avoiding the regrets completely.

Top Bottom