Motivate me please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrbadexample

Hello all,

My introductory thread is here. That should save some time. Well, it will for me anyway. :tongue:

I've just bought a bike. I'm old(ish), fat, and completely bereft of fitness. I need some form of exercise, and jogging sure as hell ain't it. I love watching cycling. Now I need to do a bit.

Beautiful day here, so went out for an hour after I got it home. Took a varied route of road and towpath, with a few ups and downs. I like the downs best, I think. ^_^ I was halfway along a towpath when I spotted an exit, and thought "that'll do for now, I'll get out that way and mosey on home". Then I remembered rule #5, so carried on quite a bit further instead.

I ended up riding 10.6 miles at an average speed of 11.1mph. I might convert that to kilometers so it looks further and faster. I was pretty pleased with that for a first bash.

My plan is to eliminate all of the short journeys I make in the car. However, I need to be able to do this when it's February, dark and raining. That's going to be tougher.

I plan to use this thread as a motivational aid. If no-one's watching, I'll get in the car. :thumbsdown: So, I want to post my progress here, so you can see what I've done and give me a kick up the arse if I'm not doing enough.

N+1 is a CX bike of some description, but I need to get my money's worth out of this one first.

Cheers all,
MBE
:cheers:

That's the spirit! Good luck

Berties

Fast and careful!
use a cycle computer or endamondo they will track you and you will want to better your last ride,
every hill you will get better ride the distance you feel happy with ,you will get stronger,don't try to ride every day you need rest days ,stagger your routes,and keep going
good luck

Dommo

Veteran
Haha, very true. I don't own any shiny KOM's of my own... My best is 6 out of 300-odd so far... My power output looks good on it though since I'm so, erm ...requiring in more energy to be expended against gravity. :smile:

I've found Strava to be a massive motivator though, even just to compete against my own personal records.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
When the bug bites, you will know, and then you won't need watching at all ^_^. But in the mean time, we know toooooooo much!!

AndyRM

XOXO
If you're obeying Rule #5, then why on earth are you breaking Rule #24?

For motivation in bad weather, contemplate Rule #9. It's blowing a gale here, and it's just started raining. Lovely!

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
My plan is to eliminate all of the short journeys I make in the car. However, I need to be able to do this when it's February, dark and raining. That's going to be tougher.

Sorry, how rude of me not to reply to the OP first time around.

I'd say it probably actually wont be. If you can stick to it now whilst the weather is a bit better and enjoy it; the sense of freedom, the feeling of personal accomplishment, sensing the improvement ride-on-ride; once you've dispeled any initial concerns you may naturally have and got into the spin of things, you may actually find you enjoy the dark/raining bits too. Maybe even more so. For me theres something just that bit better about going out on the bike on wet, windy, dark, slightly cold evenings; it just makes that ever-so-slightly smug feelng of achievement just that little bit better when you know you achieved it when there was an easier option to take...

No, I dont understand how it works fully either, cycling can be a perverse and sadistic passion.

Longshot

Perhaps all of us newbies should set a 'Best improver' challenge or something - keep our efforts visible and provide some friendly, competitive motivation.

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Motivation: a few miles on the bike = 1 bar of chocolate, or 1 pint, or 6 potatoes :thumbsup:

I did another 6 miles this evening, so I've ridden 17 miles today. It feels like someone's swapped my legs with those of a drunk bloke. Stairs are "interesting". My bum's a bit sore but not too bad.

I then went for a curry. How many miles is 1 bhuna kufta, ½ portion mushroom pilau rice, ½ garlic nan, ¼ portion sag paneer + 1 pint of cider? I bet it's more than 17. :sad:

I'm away the weekend so won't be turning another wheel until Monday, unfortunately.

I don't think Strava's going to be that much use to me, as I don't have a posh phone. Mine will make and receive telephonic communications by way of speaking into the receiver, and these newfangled text message things. :biggrin:

Top Bottom