Motivate me through the rain - please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cupoftea said:
Are you serious about commuting?

Don’t be some soft cager / ped

It’s only water, not acid

Whatever does'nt kill you makes you stronger.

I love when it rains, as it clears the road of all the softies

I only hope that we get a descent winter with some long periods of subzero temperatures to help get rid of some of the bugs.

Hmm........I commute along the A5 and get overtaken by heavy lorries that hose my nether regions with cold muddy water. It's extremely unpleasant. I have no showering facilities in work and the staff get fed up with every radiator being festooned with wet cycling gear.

PrettyboyTim

cupoftea said:
Are you serious about commuting?

Don’t be some soft cager / ped

It’s only water, not acid

Whatever does'nt kill you makes you stronger.

I love when it rains, as it clears the road of all the softies

I only hope that we get a descent winter with some long periods of subzero temperatures to help get rid of some of the bugs.

My! Aren't your balls big!

Tynan

Veteran
as said, dress for warm and comfort, and get wet, it doesn't matter if you're warm and it means there's far less clothing, and it dries quicker, feet are the only thing that matters

regular clothes plain don't work in the wet, get proper shorts/tights/longs and a proper top and some mudguards natch

On the eigth day, after a kip, god got back to the job and invented ... WATERPROOF SOCKS!!!!!! (to quote Keith).

I'm with Arch on the Rainlegs and I also wear a merino base layer. These are both inventions of seraphims (or some such minions). It seems counterintuitive that 'open' leggings and damp wool (if water gets under the outer layer) keep you comfortable... but they just do. Decent gloves are worth having too.

I wear Aldi tights at this time of year - the water resistant layer on the front keeps all but downpours out. When it chucks down, like today, bikesters or the equivalent dry quickly.

But to return to the main theme of today's sermon, waterproof socks are brilliant! Nothing like warm feet to keep the chin up. If water does drip into them, they act like wetsuit shoes and keep your feet warm anyway.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on. And by the way, there are people who find four foot hair very attractive.

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Johnr, I've heard waterproof socks are a bit....not. Any particular brands to recommend??

I will look at rainlegs, they seem to have several fans.

Don't think I'll be wearing bib tights though, not while I have to catch the 'school' train before I get to the bike part of the commute.........

Thanks all, just needed some, reassurance, a laugh, or something this morning :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Morrisette said:
Don't think I'll be wearing bib tights though, not while I have to catch the 'school' train before I get to the bike part of the commute.........

Done that :biggrin: You're just going to look like a cyclist to most people, tbh. I always feel slightly reluctant to put mine on, but I'm glad I have once I get out in the weather :biggrin:

John the Monkey said:
Done that :biggrin: You're just going to look like a cyclist to most people, tbh. I always feel slightly reluctant to put mine on, but I'm glad I have once I get out in the weather :biggrin:

At least the kit means that no one can allege that your equipment was just dangling out on train.:biggrin:

Johnr, I've heard waterproof socks are a bit....not. Any particular brands to recommend??

First off, questioning the works of god can lead to retribution... s/he has been known to send out large lorries to wet the arses of the unbelievers (I think you know of whom I speak :biggrin:). But I know what you mean.

I've got a pair of Sealskinz winter weight (I think they have a merino layer) and I bought some Sealskinz lightweight (reduced on wiggle recently). You've got to wear them underneath your leggings so that water doesn't run/drip into them from your legs. If it's raining so hard that you get soaked from the knees down, water is going to get into them, but as mentioned above, in those conditions your feet stll stay warm. The sternest test I've had was the pre-flood deluge up here this summer. When the water in one puddle went up to mid-calf, my socks filled up, but I was well warmed up by that time and it was only when I took them off I realised how much had got in. I have got some overshoes as well (I wore them the next day), but I find them really hot even at this time of year. I'm waiting for it to get cold before I use them again.

When I know I'm going to get wet on my way to work, I take a spare pair of socks wrapped in 2 carrier bags for the way home. There's nothing worse than putting on damp, cold socks after a hard day.

I've been giving a bit more thought to riding in the rain. I originally came on line 'cos I'm at home waiting for a delivery. I was (shame on me) going to take the p!ss mildly with mock sympathy for those of you out in the wet:blush:.

I've spent an hour or two staring out of the window and wondering whether I really do enjoy commuting on days like today. Some thoughts...

One thing is, you know almost exactly how long you're going to be out in it. And that when you get to work you're going to dry off and put on fresh clothes and feel great. No traffic jams/engine trouble/late public transport or the penetrating damp in clothes you're going to have to sit in all day after walking/waiting.

It's only for the first few minutes that you doubt your own sanity. After that, you start to warm up, feel better and can look around for whatever fun is to be had (singing 'the sun has got his hat on' as you whizz past lines of stationary traffic will leave a subliminal trail of joy among car drivers wrestling with with their self-imposed misery, for instance, and make them feel much worse:evil:).

Generous colleagues admire your tenacity/eccentricity and view the four foot hair as quirky, another manifestation of your devil-may-care approach to all that comes your way; the rest don't like you already;).

When all is said and done, however miserable your ride, at least you're suffering alone and for a fixed time: humid, unhealthy, crowded public transport on a rainy day is endless purgatory and should be suffered only by those who doubt the efficacy of waterproof socks.

PS. My hairstyle would best be described as sparse. I chart the progress of my baldness through the degree of cold I feel when the rain starts getting through my headgear. Four foot hair mmmm:biggrin:.

My motivational statement: Stoap bein a big jessie!! :biggrin:

Just aim for the biggest puddle lift your legs and as you splash through it shout Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! Works for me.:biggrin:

Abitrary

Sing this velvet underground song

Who loves the rain
who cares that it makes flowers
Who cares that it makes showers
since you broke my heart

ash68

yeh, it was pretty wet and soggy this morning.Not too pleasant.Thing is, once your wet, your wet and thats it. It only goes skin deep at worst.plus it's a lovely feeling putting dry clothes on at work and feeling refreshed and ready for the day when every one else still looks half asleep.Don't feel guilty,just get out and ride, plenty of ill and sick people would gladly swap places from their hospital beds.:biggrin:

surfgurl

I quite enjoy the rain. I don't like the cold or the wind, but I can cope with the rain.
I get to the school where I work looking like a drowned rat in cycling gear and covered in mud; the kids look at me in all seriousness and say "Did you cycle in today Miss?"
Makes me smile everytime!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yesterday, I was saved from riding the 6 miles out to the stables in the rain, because a) it stopped raining and :biggrin: my friend's car was back from the garage.

We started our riding lesson outside, but the rain came on again, hard, and we moved indoors, now slightly damp (and of course, I'd left the rainlegs with my bike pannier at her house anyway). It pee'd down all the way back into York, so we were saying "Well, thank goodness we didn't have to cycle..."

Thinking about it though, if we had had to cycle out, we'd have done it. We'd no doubt have moaned and groaned a bit, but we'd have done it, and stayed fairly dry under our coats. We wouldn't have melted, and it was actually pretty warm. We'd probably have laughed about it if we got caught in anything really heavy and enjoyed a Great British Whinge about it over a cuppa later...:biggrin:

So the motivational trick is really to get over the intial 'ugh' and just get on with it. :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
My motivational statement: Stoap bein a big jessie!! :blush:

Just aim for the biggest puddle lift your legs and as you splash through it shout Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! Works for me.:angry:

I second this man !

Rain is great fun. A great excuse to act like a great big kid (or 'wean', if you're Magnatom !) :biggrin:

Top Bottom