Motivation and illness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Few of us like to cycle (or do much of anything truth told) when we're bunged up with lurgy or whatever. Stands to reason. I want to take a step back, to before the illness makes itself known.

I'm wondering about lack of motivation being a foreteller of illness. Has anyone experienced a motivational slump that preceded your illness appearing? I'm particularly interested if it was something months, or even years, out.

I'm going to do a bit of web searching on the subject, see if there's been any studies done etc, but interested in the experiences and/or opinions of you all.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I know many people have a sense of not feeling quite right, without being able to put their finger on why, before they get diagnosed with an illness. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right though - mind and body are intertwined and it would make sense that the subconscious brain might pick up on early signs of illness before there are any physical signs. It would then trigger lack of motivation for exercise as a protective mechanism to avoid strain on the body.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I know many people have a sense of not feeling quite right, without being able to put their finger on why, before they get diagnosed with an illness. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right though - mind and body are intertwined and it would make sense that the subconscious brain might pick up on early signs of illness before there are any physical signs. It would then trigger lack of motivation for exercise as a protective mechanism to avoid strain on the body.

That is exactly what I mean.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The medical profession has identified that the human body has several built in mechanisms to safeguard itself.

For example, reduce blood flow to the extremities to protect the core when one is cold.

It's also accepted that one is never truly well, i.e. germ and bugs are all around us and we've always got a small virus. It's just the body is so good at dealing with them we don't notice. We only notice when the virus is more severe and the body brings out its big guns i.e. high temperature and loads of white blood cells (aka runny nose) to kill it.

It's also believed the body diverts resources from things like physical exertion to fight infections. This could be the feeling of a lack of motivation.

Edit: link to an article about the brain's restriction of dopamine during infection. Remember dopamine is the feel good chemical that provides motivation.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325399

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yello

Thanks for the link @Moodyman.

I've found a number of references to motivation and mental health/depression, and that's something in itself. The links there are perhaps easier to see and accept. I was interested more in the, what I'll call, the physical health side (I try to blur the distinction sometimes, as I do believe that mind and body are "intertwined", to quote my learned colleague above!)

The sort of thing that interests me is, as you said...

It's also believed the body diverts resources from things like physical exertion to fight infections. This could be the feeling of a lack of motivation.

I'm wondering if lack of motivation could actually be a form of self protection. That is, if I can put it like this, a fault is detected somewhere by our internal diagnostics but does not trigger a usual or known symptom (for whatever reason), it is however registered (by the brain?) and we realise that as a lack of motivation.

I'm particularly interested in lack of motivation being something like a symptom in itself, indicating a problem yet to fully manifest itself.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
@AuroraSaab are you aware of any studies on this?

Had a quick Google but can't find anything. Our bodies are incredibly complex though and it seems obvious that our bodies would pick up on things that our conscious mind hasn't yet registered.

This kind of happens all the time more immediately if you think about it, from automatically blinking to protect our eyes to producing adrenaline/cortisol to make us run away or fight.

I think lack of motivation could certainly be a form of self protection - the brain is saying 'Nope .... you don't feel like a run' because the body has told the brain you are not 100% at the moment. Of course, psychological reasons could be at play too - physically ok but feeling a bit down, stressed etc.

I know I'm struggling to exercise at the moment because I've put on weight in the second lockdown and feel sluggish and tired more easily. Exercise is so much harder than it was and that's very demotivating.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Before symptoms turn up your body will be doing other things. For instance your resting HR will be up. Your RPE will be up even when walking. It wouldn’t surprise me if sub consciously you pick up on it and your motivation / drive to exercise changes.

If you are in tune with your body you get a sense of when to ease back and when to push. This period before symptoms of illness become obvious, may be just one of those times.

D

Deleted member 1258

If my mood is low then so is my motivation, which I've always found strange, as one thing that is going to improve my mood is a bike ride, tiredness is also something that affects motivation, I'm sure thats just the bodies way of saying slow down though.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I always find it anoying that when you feel a bit down you immediately lapse into behaviours that make you feel worse, like not exercising and eating junk. You stop doing the stuff that actually makes you feel better. Good habits and healthy routines are so easily broken.

Top Bottom