Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian emmerson

Hi,

For the last 5+ years I have commuted the 8 miles to work throughout the year and can only count on one hand the amount of times I have used the car for work.
During this time I have massively enjoyed the challenges etc of 4 season commuting .

However during the past couple of weeks I have found it increasingly difficult to motivate myself into cycling to work despite some good weather and fantastic early autumn scenery.
One day last week I even chose the car over the bike !
I know we all have off days from time to time but lasting a few weeks now is too long.

Has anyone else had these feelings and how did you overcome these.
I don't have any intention at present to stop cycling and continue to do so hoping that one day soon the feel good factor will return.

trampyjoe

Take a break for a while.If it's not enjoyable/you're not motivated then don't force it.

I bought my bike to commute and did so for the first few months then stopped enjoying it. Had half the summer off the bike then got back on it during the 'lympics and now it's my prefered transport. Was well worth taking the break for me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try a new route. Can you ride some of your route off road. I'm looking forward to some hard frosts and ice, or dry weather, then I may just take the MTB to work via the trans pennine. Makes a nice change, but you soon want back on Tarmac though.

Steve H

Large Member
Every day for 5 years is impressive. I agree with TrampyJoe. Not necessarily months off, but why don't you take a couple of weeks off. Even the pros take a few weeks off around this time of year to re-fresh the body an mind.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I commute by bike all the time, but the odd day you have to use the car or the bus, you soon realise why you ride. Even taking the bus from post operation recovery, I only managed two weeks on the bus before I jumped on the bike. I was probably back on the bike before I would have been allowed to drive.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I commute into the city whenever I can (I have a strange job and sometimes have to take 30kg of kit with me which won't fit on the Defy) and I regularly take different routes in too keep it fresh and fun. I have a very low boredom threshold so like to take as many different routes in as possible.
Have you tried mixing the route up a bit. You could try public transport for a week as it will give you a rest and refresh your memory as to how pants a bus ride is.

OP
OP
I

ian emmerson

Thanks guys, some great advice.

As for using the bus, I did recently and you reminded me of that experience, oh dear.
I have enjoyed a few days off this week and commuting yesterday in sunshine and frost was amazing.
I have also been considering a new bike recently and have started to look.

Starting to enjoy my rides again so I think my enthusiasm is returning , phew

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks guys, some great advice.

As for using the bus, I did recently and you reminded me of that experience, oh dear.
I have enjoyed a few days off this week and commuting yesterday in sunshine and frost was amazing.
I have also been considering a new bike recently and have started to look.

Starting to enjoy my rides again so I think my enthusiasm is returning , phew

A few bus or train commutes and the enthusiasm for cycle commuting comes back in spades.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Easy to get lazy if it's there.I have never owned a car and im 49 years old.I know the have discussed me,they have talked about my cycling exploits in the messroom.I've even been told to grow up or that im bonnet fodder by the same moton. So I only have public transport or the bike.I've done 174 commutes out of 174 this year by bike.:tongue:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Perfect excuse to freshen things up with a new bike!
This sounds like a joke but after 4 years of riding I can personally vouch for this. I bought a new bike...and a new type of bike at that and have found a whole new enjoyment of riding.

I now ride more than ever and have started to find new ways to take long organised rides at weekends. I am also getting much, much stronger at riding and can even get out without fear of hills (well most hills)

what type of bike do you ride at present?

OP
OP
I

ian emmerson

Mainly use a hybrid as routes I use consist of a road/ trail mix. Road bikes don't appeal to me, have used them but prefer hybrid or mountain bikes.
Considering a new hybrid

Top Bottom