Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mainly use a hybrid as routes I use consist of a road/ trail mix. Road bikes don't appeal to me, have used them but prefer hybrid or mountain bikes.
Considering a new hybrid
Then take my word for it, pick up a drop bar roadie and start having fun again on your commute for the first time in a couple of years. I rode (and championed) my trusty old MTB/hybrid sorta bike. she's an absolute beaut and has never... ever put a foot wrong (except for the automatic gear thing that she became know for:blush:...hence her name...Chitty)

when I swapped to a roadie I wasn't that impressed at first but have since found a new lease of bike life.

I sit typing this in my gear ready to drop across to a local park to meet 6 mates for a ride to Westerham, I adore the accuracy of the road bike, its lightness and its ability to sweep through bends. I also feel much more inclined to join weekend rides as I feel more like "the part" and am enjoying that too.

Do it, pick up a roadie, you wont regret it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Strava helps to make the commute more interesting, although it's not for everyone.

Jdratcliffe

Do it, pick up a roadie, you wont regret it.
+ 1! was doing the same 5/9 miles commutes on a hybrid moved jobs to london so was doing 22 on the hybrid hated it gave up for few months took the plunge on a roadie when saw the train price hike and i got a bonus and havent looked back since LOVE riding to work again!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mainly use a hybrid as routes I use consist of a road/ trail mix. Road bikes don't appeal to me, have used them but prefer hybrid or mountain bikes.
Considering a new hybrid
Have you done it yet...have you been and looked at a roadie ?

I don't know much about you but if you are anything like me then you may "resist" the roadie thing more because of the statement it makes, than the bike itself. I used to commute as a means of getting exercise during the "down time" of my commute. As such I didn't consider myself a cyclist and really didn't want to become a cycle bore (I dislike being too "into" any one thing as frankly, its a bit dull).

But since taking the plunge into the world of roadies my life has adjusted considerably. First of all I have (without any effort or coaxing) converted three of my pals into cycle commuters. They clearly just felt it was a good idea and one in particular thought it looked like I really enjoyed it. I also now take regular weekends rides where I never previously "found the time". My circle of friends has not so much increased (although i am getting to slowly know you lot a bit more) but it has redefined as I now ride with mates that I otherwise wouldn't see for months on end.

On top of that I'm fitter, faster, stronger and am even comiting to big charity tours.

Its all good.

Dave Carey

Strava helps to make the commute more interesting, although it's not for everyone.

If you have a smartphone I would recommend Strava, that extra bit of competition trying to climb up the leaderboard definately helps me keep myself motivated.

D

Deleted member 1258

Easy to get lazy if it's there.I have never owned a car and im 49 years old.I know the have discussed me,they have talked about my cycling exploits in the messroom.I've even been told to grow up or that im bonnet fodder by the same moton. So I only have public transport or the bike.I've done 174 commutes out of 174 this year by bike.:tongue:

I was car free for over 30 years, commuted by bike right through that time, now I've got an old car and take the odd day off, still doing the majority of my commuting by bike though.
It sounds like the OP might need a short break, once he's done that the mojo should return.

OP
OP
I

ian emmerson

Sorry guys for not responding sooner but work got in the way !

Considering your ideas and looking at the roadie idea and by a twist of fortune our cycle to work scheme opens again in a few weeks so intending to visit my lbs when I'm off for a few days next week.

Still cycling daily and enjoying it again , despite the poor weather here up north.

I'm also looking into some club riding or at least with others from time to time as overall I have been a lone rider.

Thanks again for all your ideas , it has really helped

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Let me also second taking some time off. It's certainly not a bad thing -and can keep you refreshed. Unless there's a lot of snow (and I used to mtb in pretty deep snow) I try to cycle throughout the year -but get a mental break by just doing road cycling, then taking a a break and doing off road, etc.

I also think a new bicycle is a good idea -sometimes getting something different will motivate you too. Good luck!

Recycle

Über Member
You must have a fairly reasonable car commute to consider it an an attractive alternative to the bike. The thought of the traffic jams, or my nose stuck in someone else's armpit on the tube is enough motivation to keep me on my bike.

I agree with others, a new bike can refresh your enthusiasm but step into the world of real fun. Get a recumbent:smile: .

Top Bottom