motivational advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
We did cycle past some elephants but they were bigguns.

Well, that's OK, you need bigguns to make baby ones...:biggrin:

I look forward to pics Cyclebum. If you could persuade one to wear a cycle helmet for the occasion...:biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
We did cycle past some elephants but they were bigguns.
They might have looked like 'bigguns' but they should have been Indian eleflumps, which you will know have smaller lugs than their African cousins.

You'll probably see more camels than ele-things ... and vultures :biggrin::eek:, probably bald and hungry ... so keep getting those miles in !!!:biggrin::biggrin::sad:

India is fab, though.
You'll do fine.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Indian heffalumps have ears the shape of India. African ones have ears the shape of Africa. However, it's unlikely you'll need to tell them apart in India, as the two ranges don't overlap. It is useful to know though, in case you meet one in the street here, so that you know whether to say "good morning" in Hindi, or Swahili.

That was one of the pieces of advice I gave my baby nephew in my first letter to him. And my sister has not yet had me committed, which is a nice surprise...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dayvo said:
scoosh! A word of warning: Arch is our resident elephant expert! :biggrin:

and she knows quite a lot of other things, as well! :biggrin:

I never thought I'd be a resident elephant expert anywhere! I just have a soft spot for them.

I do know that in the 60's, a scientist set out to find out the effects of LSD on elephants. The effect was, it killed it stone dead, but then they did give it a dose 3000 times what a human would take, which is way too much...

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Arch I'll do what I can, even if I have to stick India shape ears on a monkey!:biggrin:

Anyway thought you might like to know I have had quite a good day.
I set off this morning planning about 18-20 miles and no set route (situation normal there). I only took my computer to log the distance and deliberatley set off at a slower pace and tried to keep it easy just as reccomended. The result, well I had to call into Halfords on the way home as my back gears were slipping (they oiled them all up as well or whatever you put on them!), but I pulled up there having done 27.75 miles and averaged 12.7 mph. I was well pleased but as the ride home is all up hill I didn't expect much. Got home to have done 29.86 and average only dropped to 12.5. I must say it was difficult at times to hold back, but there were still plenty of occasions that I felt really sluggish and the going got tough in places. I took a number of short stops mostly to answer my mobile, I also took a proper short break about 1/2 way round, and I tried that disgusting energy gel I got to try from Decathlon and I'm sure that helped.

I was wondering if I was ever going to get the miles up, but when I stopped to take the 2nd call from hubby (he just likes to hear me all breathless!!:biggrin:) I noticed I was at 20 miles and a decent (for me) average speed and that cheered me up. If it wasn't for the stupid gears I may have gone further but at least they are fine now.

tomb1960

Cyclebum, it sounds as though you are steering yourself out of the Doldrums which is brilliant, looks like you have huge support on here which is also brilliant! GO GIRL!

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

thanks guys, it's been a rough couple of weeks but with your help hopefully it's all coming back together.

frog

God! I absolutely hate fit women!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

The only way I'd average 12.5 mph over that distance is to ride my bike down the north face of the Eiger :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll do the India trip no problem if you can manage 30 miles now. You'll probably ride harder on your own than with others on the trip, and you'll not notice the miles as you have company - long miles on one's own can be terribly boring.

I generally don't do more than 50 miles on my own, then it usually has to be hilly to keep me interested.

Top Bottom