Motor insurance should include cycling cover?

Should motor insurance include cycling by default?

• Yes

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I do not know how it works. But in 2019 the UK was 3rd on the list for vehicle insurance payouts and Denmark was 13th. I know there are many factors in that calculation. But it shows the Danish system is not completely mad.

I do not look at it as not being a legal requirement. I look at it as common sense. I cycle a lot and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that I could run into someone and seriously injure them. My cycle insurance covers all my legal fees and third party insurance up to about a million pounds, I think.

Hopefully I will never need it. But I will be so relieved if I ever do.

My household cover with Aviva gives me that - and I have needed it as a result of my recent accident - although the claim will be small enough I could have paid it without too much problem, it is still likely enough to be glad it is covered.

The clue should be in the 'A' in the name for the two motoring organisations surely?

I don't think there are any companies that will fix broken down bikes by the roadside/at home. ETA will get you home/to station/to shop in a taxi though (not used but I pay £18 a year for this [unusually a better price as have been with them a few years than for new policies]).

I've just cancelled British Cycling as My Aviva Plus home legal cover provides the same legal benefits if hit by a motorist/hit a third party (as someone pointed out upthread).
Do you mean Aviva Premium sorry? (with the Legal Services add on)

I'm getting quotes for my renewal and they are on the shortlist.

vickster

Legendary Member

Yes. On the 3rd party it’s not 100% clear from the policy document if cycling is covered. I can’t be bothered to call up so I have taken out an extra LAKA cycling specific policy for the princely sum of £1 a month which also includes legal cover
https://laka.co/gb/club

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

Yes, I have it with the legal services add on.

Though I don't think you actually need that add on to be covered for your legal liabilities, which includes liabilities arising from cyclin (see below).

The legal services add on means I would be covered for the cost of legal representation if I had an accident on the bike that was another party's fault, and I had to sue them.

Yes. On the 3rd party it’s not 100% clear from the policy document if cycling is covered. I can’t be bothered to call up so I have taken out an extra LAKA cycling specific policy for the princely sum of £1 a month which also includes legal cover
https://laka.co/gb/club
It is 100% clear in the wording IMO.
1651051358808.png

@vickster @Alex321

Thanks both. Aviva'a Legal Cover is coming up as half price (£12.50) add for the first year so I 'm definately getting it if I do go with them. I've saved the Laka link as well to look at getting :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I have it with the legal services add on.

Though I don't think you actually need that add on to be covered for your legal liabilities, which includes liabilities arising from cyclin (see below).

The legal services add on means I would be covered for the cost of legal representation if I had an accident on the bike that was another party's fault, and I had to sue them.

It is 100% clear in the wording IMO.
View attachment 642017

Thanks, what document is that from as not obviously in Anything attached to my policy online

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks, what document is that from as not obviously in Anything attached to my policy online

It is the policy wording document when I go to the Documents in myaviva.
I've attached it here, since it is a general document, not specific to my policy.

That part is on page 24. I note that document is dated 05/2021, so if your policy is older than that, you may have a different document.

Though there is an older version here which contains the same wording.

Attachments

• policywording.PDF
    423.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It is the policy wording document when I go to the Documents in myaviva.
I've attached it here, since it is a general document, not specific to my policy.

That part is on page 24. I note that document is dated 05/2021, so if your policy is older than that, you may have a different document.

Though there is an older version here which contains the same wording.

Odd I have nothing called policy wording document attached either for this year or last year 🤷‍♀️
Only document (AvivaPlus HI policy) with anything about liability makes no mention of cycling.
Maybe AvivaPlus is different to what you have

Attachments

• 51EE06E2-E350-4570-8EA3-176ED0607964.png
    51EE06E2-E350-4570-8EA3-176ED0607964.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Odd I have nothing called policy wording document attached either for this year or last year 🤷‍♀️
Only document (AvivaPlus HI policy) with anything about liability makes no mention of cycling.
Maybe AvivaPlus is different to what you have

Looks like it. Mine is Aviva Premium.

But that second document I linked to is the one linked to from their default page for home contents insurance, so should be the one which applies if you take out a new policy with them now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like it. Mine is Aviva Premium.

But that second document I linked to is the one linked to from their default page for home contents insurance, so should be the one which applies if you take out a new policy with them now.

Ah not sure what the difference between Plus and Premium is? My policy is pretty much unlimited with accidental damage and legal

Alex321

Veteran
Ah not sure what the difference between Plus and Premium is? My policy is pretty much unlimited with accidental damage and legal

Home Plus seems to be sold via brokers only, while Premium is the one you get direct from Aviva (including if you use one of the comparison sites such as comparethemarket or confused).

Not sure there is actually any difference in cover.

vickster

Legendary Member
Home Plus seems to be sold via brokers only, while Premium is the one you get direct from Aviva (including if you use one of the comparison sites such as comparethemarket or confused).

Not sure there is actually any difference in cover.

Ok I took it out directly via Aviva as an existing customer. I’ve emailed them to ask

Top Bottom