Motor insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Excuse my ignorance here, but I haven't run a car for years, so I can't remember.
It is a criminal offence not to have a minimum of 3rd party insurance on a car, am I correct?
It's just that someone told me last night they didn't believe in having their car insured as it was only used for the 'odd trip down the motorway'. This is a colleague in a voluntary organisation I work for, and the even more surprising thing is that he/she is quite deeply committed Christian.
I'm really really angry about this and a very big part of me wants to go straight to the police and report them, as we could all do with one less uninsured @rseh0le on the roads.
Is there a procedure, and how anonymous is it?

He/she should certainly be insured, as you say a minimum of 3rd party.

The likelihood is that they do not have 'road tax' either. As you cannot tax a vehicle that does not have an MOT (if required) and insurance.

PBancroft

If they won't get insurance at your behest, report it. Even if its not anonymous you ARE doing them a favour. They may not believe it, but you are.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Phone Crime Stoppers, it's annonymous.

The tit could leave someone crippled with bugger all compensation after an accident.

The MIB, Motorists Insurance Bureau provides compensation to those injured by uninsured drivers. Motor insurers all contribute to the pot. It's another hiden surcharge which hikes premium costs.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Excuse my ignorance here, but I haven't run a car for years, so I can't remember.
It is a criminal offence not to have a minimum of 3rd party insurance on a car, am I correct?
It's just that someone told me last night they didn't believe in having their car insured as it was only used for the 'odd trip down the motorway'. This is a colleague in a voluntary organisation I work for, and the even more surprising thing is that he/she is quite deeply committed Christian.
I'm really really angry about this and a very big part of me wants to go straight to the police and report them, as we could all do with one less uninsured @rseh0le on the roads.
Is there a procedure, and how anonymous is it?

Sadly the incentive to 'take the risk' is provided by the low fines handed out in courts. They are often much less than the insurance premium making it 'worthwhile' to get a couple of convictions as it's cheaper than the insurance premium.

You could point out that automatic number plate recognition fitted to police vehicles that frequent the motorway flag up if a car is not insured or taxed or MOT'd. The driver is pulled and the car is put on a trailer and taken away.

Does he/she have gender issues :whistle:

Reporting the vehicle is anonymous. Go down to your local police station and initiate proceeding after establishing whether or not the car is parked on the public highway.

If the car is parked on a private drive the worst penalty is an £80 fixed penalty notice for not declaring SORN. The car can not be confiscated.
If the car is parked on the public highway then it could be towed away if it's not insured or taxed and appropriate prosecutions will take place.

It's just that someone told me last night they didn't believe in having their car insured as it was only used for the 'odd trip down the motorway'.

Hm... you sure that they meant 'not insured at all' rather than 'not insured except for 3rd party'?
If I were you I'd pick out the reasons why it's required etc and then talk to the colleague again listing those points, and if the person is unflinching in their refusal then consider reporting. Of course then it's likely he/she would suspect you as the reporter, I guess.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OMG.................. Third party is a minimum............for a reason.................. cock up and hurt someone.................. sheesh... and there is the LAW...not

Give your colleague a slap.............that's why most of us pay through the nose for insurance....... I pay way too much for a car I don't use much...... I also pay for 3rd party insurance for my bike (Via BC/CTC) just in case - you know adult travelling at 20 plus mph into car/person is going to do damage............ I hope I ride not to do that, but don't fancy a £300-£500 bill for a wing mirror.............or even more for flooring a person..............

Colleague needs a good seeing to................

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS don't say anything back to them - just report, a ANPR camera equipped car just might get placed near your work place.................. :whistle:

WTF do I fret about insuring/taxing and MOTing my cars eh.......... some folk don't............

bit more info for persuasion of being insured and taxed.

As you leave the midlands on the M6, M40 and M42, on some of the motorway bridges there are some white cameras, look a little like speed cameras,

these are checking tax and insurance.

I'd be inclined to ask if they mean they have third party but don't believe in insuring the vehicle against damage (fully comp) and then wait a week or so before reporting it.

As a christian, the bible teaches to submit to the law of the land unless it contravenes with the bibles teaching.
"give to caesar what belongs to caesar" in other words, you should be paying taxes to the treasury, as the coins technically belong to them, on the same note, insurance is a legal requirement that sits alongside this if you want to own a car, i don't see anything biblical that says you shouldn't insure it if that is the legal requirement.

you might choose to trust God that your house won't fall down and thus not have home insurance - but thats upto you.

Beardie

As a christian, the bible teaches to submit to the law of the land unless it contravenes with the bibles teaching.
"give to caesar what belongs to caesar" in other words, you should be paying taxes to the treasury, as the coins technically belong to them, on the same note, insurance is a legal requirement that sits alongside this if you want to own a car, i don't see anything biblical that says you shouldn't insure it if that is the legal requirement.

you might choose to trust God that your house won't fall down and thus not have home insurance - but thats upto you.
I quite agree. There is nothing Christian about leaving others unprotected by not having compulsory insurance.

Crankarm

Guru
Report them immediately, God squad or not, they should have insurance to drive a car on the road. At best they are a selfish freeloading pious fraud, at worst a selfish freeloading pious fraud. God won't be any use when the party they injure or kill needs treatment or compensation.

Give the police exact info on where and when they are likely to be driving on the roads. When they have lost their car and been fined and are travellling by bus you can tell them that God works in mysterious ways ........................

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
...it was only used for the 'odd trip down the motorway'...
This is a colleague in a voluntary organisation I work for, and the even more surprising thing is that he/she is quite deeply committed Christian.

It's the Pope, in his Pope-mobile, isn't it!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 3

asterix

Comrade Member

They are relying on the hand of God? Not a popular move in England..

Top Bottom