Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes the flywheel has rubbed on the stator windings which probably killed it but if you are in doubt about the Regulator (Chinese) best off replacing the pair imho.

The Triumph OEM Regulator is not the best either to be fair, I've replaced quite a few over the years (they even had a recall at one point).

These are what I fit now, if money allows, they place less load on the stator and do not heat up in operation (a "normal" regulator sheds excess output from the stator as heat), these only take what is needed from the Stator keeping both under less stress.

They stator on your Sprint is designed to be run in oil.

I personally crimp and seal all the wiring as the connectors are another failure point but if you have all new kit then should be fine.

Post a picture up of your Regulator, I'm positive Triumph are Shindegen, SH plus a code on the top (same as Honda use).

A JMP Stator is around £130, they aren't bad quality to be honest.

IMG_20230416_121823.jpg

IMG_20230416_121813.jpg

IMG_20230416_121806.jpg

IMG_20230416_121758.jpg

IMG_20230416_121753.jpg

Can you send me a link to the ones you use, or at least where you buy them from please.

Gunk

Guru
That's how I ended up buying the sprint, I started looking for a Tiger Cub, or even a C15, but the prices were just silly compared with the Sprint

I own a 1960 Tiger Cub Sport with my FIL, lovely little thing (the bike not the FIL!) , we’ve owned it about 5 years and neither of us has ridden it, it’s been fired up once!

D

Deleted member 26715

I own a 1960 Tiger Cub Sport with my FIL, lovely little thing (the bike not the FIL!) , we’ve owned it about 5 years and neither of us has ridden it, it’s been fired up once!
Loving home waiting if you decide it's being wasted.

D

Deleted member 26715

Rang the garage that put the new stator, regulator/rectifier on the bike the invoice is dated 30th Sept last year, he says the parts had 6 months warranty which ended 3 weeks ago :laugh:

@keithmac He also says that as the stator went to ground the regulator/rectifier 'should' still be okay, but is it worth the risk, put a new stator on, the RR is faulty & takes out the new stator?

Edit:- Just tested the Regulator/Rectifier & it tests out okay, just don't think I dare leave it on so ordered both parts new.

Last edited by a moderator:

keithmac

Guru
Sorry, been working on the car today.

No I wouldn't trust that regulator personally.

Some fail when they get heated up, not really found a test that will prove 100% if it will not take another stator our to be honest.

We always fit them in pairs if the Generator has failed, not worth the risk.

Gunk

Guru
Rang the garage that put the new stator, regulator/rectifier on the bike the invoice is dated 30th Sept last year, he says the parts had 6 months warranty which ended 3 weeks ago :laugh:

@keithmac He also says that as the stator went to ground the regulator/rectifier 'should' still be okay, but is it worth the risk, put a new stator on, the RR is faulty & takes out the new stator?

Edit:- Just tested the Regulator/Rectifier & it tests out okay, just don't think I dare leave it on so ordered both parts new.

Find another garage

D

Deleted member 26715

Find another garage
I don't use garages I will do virtually everything myself, I only rang on the very faint hope he may honour the 12 month warranty on parts that they most certainly would have had, but I got the response I expected unfortunately.

Drago

Legendary Member
I will service it, replace the chain and get it out this year, it needs some light use.
The 25 miles to Chez Drago counts as light use. You can leave it here and I'll give you a lift home.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Too cold for a planned ride round to Bala, across the top of Mid Wales and back to Cheshire the other day, so just went to the Horseshoe Pass instead.
nc_ohc=1PSJGfWWyGgAX9NOLS2&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.jpg

Not many bikers about, but not a single (other) scooterist either. Roll on warmer weather.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yeah a 2008 Sprint 1050, the regulator is directly wired to the battery via a fuse, but don't think it's a MOSFET but I have no way of knowing. Not sure if this is not the opposite way around as you can see on the 3rd image the magnets have clipped the windings.

Do you know the bikes, are they supposed to have oil in where the stator is?

Ooh, a 50s velo is very much on my long term list.

Drago

Legendary Member
Comfortable and easy to live with the old LE. They used to be unloved, regarded as unsexy, but the passage of time is showing what a clever design they really were.

D

Deleted member 26715

Comfortable and easy to live with the old LE. They used to be unloved, regarded as unsexy, but the passage of time is showing what a clever design they really were.

Flat twin water cooled with a huge sail at the front preventing forward motion, but superb to trundle around on as long as speed wasn't important. Just checked & it's still showing on DVLA but no records of any MOT's so not been on the road for a while.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm after a bit of advise please. My partner's son has just got a job/apprenticeship in catering and wants/needs a moped fairly soon. I've had plenty of bikes in the past but never a scooter/moped. I'm on the look out for one, and I've figured a 4 stroke would be better as less noisy, doesn't require top end rebuilds etc. Is this true? His budget is as little as possible, I've seen a few good ones for £850 but they seem to be holding their value very well and there's not many about. It's either that or buy a new one (like a SYM or Lexmoto or something) for around £1500 but that seems an awful lot to me, for a 50 that he will probably discard as soon as he's old enough for a car or 125.

Thoughts welcome, apart from "cycle", because it's much too far and hilly and time-dependant on other things.

Thanks

Top Bottom