Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Can you get an image of the top of the engine it should be quite obvious from that, does the spark plug go in at the side of the engine or at the top? The fuel may smell like it's got oil in but it could just be stale, I've not known any of the Chinese mopeds to use pre-mix & not have an injection pump not that I've had much to experience with them. Alternatively can you make a short video of it running with a few twists of throttle again it should be obvious.

Ok will get some pics and hopefully a video tomorrow night when I'm there. Yes good point about the fuel, guy i bought it from said his lad hadn't ridden it for 9 months so entirely possible it's turned to nail varnish. it did struggle to idle occasionally.

D

Deleted member 26715

Might be a bit of info here don't think you mentioned the year.

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/cpi_bravo_50_2013.php

keithmac

Guru
Proud Dad moment!.

Built his MT-5 up from a complete basket case. Learnt many skills over the years and finally got to ride it on the road today.

Glad we stayed Japanese, been out all day and not missed a beat.

20140713_130650.jpg

20140727_094508.jpg

20200322_103123.jpg

20200405_151012.jpg

20200406_154640.jpg

20220828_140731.jpg

20230521_111110.jpg

20230521_112250.jpg

20200322_121148.jpg

I know,that's why I'm confused. The fuel is definitely 2 stroke as i can smell it. But the exhaust doesn't fold back on itself like other 2 strokes I've seen. Also possible it's a 4t that's been filled with premix. The CPI bravo 50 was also available in 2t and 4t variety so that's not much help either! And i can't find out. I think I'll just take it to the garage and get them to do a full service, rather than me messing something up

What does '2 stroke fuel' smell like then?

If it's got an oil pump on it, for the 2 stroke then the fuel is exactly the same as any other fuel i.e. petrol.

You must be able to tell the difference between a 2 stroke and a four stroke when it's running as they smell and sound completely different.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

If it's got an oil pump on it, for the 2 stroke then the fuel is exactly the same as any other fuel i.e. petrol.

You must be able to tell the difference between a 2 stroke and a four stroke when it's running as they smell and sound completely different.

I'm sure it's a 4 stroke now. The fuel does have a very faint whiff of castrol to it, but that could be becasue the fuel is 10 months old (the chap I bought it off didn't tell me that bit, but it still got me home). It sounds like a 4 stroke. I've just got to get the battery mounted back in and take it for a full service. The design is very poor, the battery terminals sit up against the back seat latch so have shorted out at some point and wires have melted. I've taped it all up so now working on isolating the metal parts from the terminals and making sure nothing can short

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

Oh and also, the 1970s TY175 we had on the farm had no pump, so you had to pre-mix the fuel with 2 stroke oil. That and chainsaws is the only experience I've had! Didn't know these modern units had the luxury of separate reservoirs!

Oh and also, the 1970s TY175 we had on the farm had no pump, so you had to pre-mix the fuel with 2 stroke oil. That and chainsaws is the only experience I've had! Didn't know these modern units had the luxury of separate reservoirs!

I've got a '62 Lambretta so know about pre-mix, the fact this thing is almost new and oil pumps have been standard fitment on 2 stokes since the '70's it was a pretty safe assumption there would be no oil in the petrol even if it was a 2 stroke.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes looked at that thanks, it's a 2012. But some sites say it's 4t and some 2t. And other sites say they made a 2t and a 4t version, both called Bravo 50

Finally found a really nice chap who deals with chinese/Taiwanese scooters. Lovely bloke, just starting out in a former strip club! He serviced the scooter and found it had no oil in. Luckily now serviced it's running fine. It is a 4 stroke. Feel much better now the brakes and everything have been checked. Just waiting for partner's son to get is provisional through so he can do his cbt. I'm not happy with the former keepers who firstly put the wrong battery in it, and secondly drained the oil but didn't put any back in, despite them saying it had been serviced. Note to self, don't trust anyone even if they seem to be honest.

Top Bottom