Motorbikes giving the go-head from Jan 5th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonesy

Guru
See also DfT's transport stats...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistic.../speedscongestion/roadstatstsc/roadstats07tsc

download "Vehicle speed data tables 2007 (Excel 451 kb)"

and see Table 2 "Vehicle speeds on built-up roads by speed limit and vehicle type: Great Britain: 2007", which shows that on 30mph roads 26% of motorbikes exceed 35mph compared with 19% of cars.

Tynan

Veteran
it's their acceleration and ability to change direction that unerves me, the swerving in and out of lanes at sudden speed

esp when they do it into a narrow cycle lanes approaching Southwark Bridge

LLB

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
See here http://www.trl.co.uk/press/press_detail.asp?pid=95&aid=172

and particually
  1. Overall, the effect on motorcycle speeds was varied. However, on sites where flows remained fairly consistent (Baker Street, Gloucester Place and Bayswater Road), there was evidence that motorcyclists reduced their journey times under the higher flow conditions. On Bayswater Road the average speed of motorcyclists increased by 2 mph, with the 85th percentile of speed being 43.1 mph in the after survey. Such behaviour is of concern, particularly in relation to the effect on cyclist and pedestrian safety, as there is a correlation between increased speed and severity of collisions for pedestrians and cyclists.

So 15 out of every 100 m/cycles were clocked at 43mph in a given location. Hardly enough evidence to condemn all m/cycle users. Bear in mind that many will be using scoots which are speed limited to 30mph.

This wouldn't concern me. I am more concerned with a bus or Taxi sat on my tail, or trying to pass me when out on the cycle TBH

It was asserted very strongly that a cycle is quicker than a m/cycle in London traffic a few months ago. This is at odds with what is being said here.

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
[/b]

Crazy to you, to me outstanding forward thinking, awareness and riding ability.

Hardly crazy. Once again you are making sweeping generalisations that you cannot support, other than with your wacky and predictably provocative opinions.

On a more positive note, I have "befriended" you as you've overtaken Col as my favourite poster.

GrahamG

Guru
Yet another thread which ignores what I think is a very important point that has been missing from all debate on this:

What effect will it have on perception of safety?

London (and most other places) are trying to increase levels of cycling dramatically - if the perception of people who might be pursuaded/are inclined to consider cycling is that the motorcycles make it more dangerous - this might seriously go against the grain on a strategic policy level. Nobody seems to have explored the potential of its affect on opinion and the potential for something like this to have a knock on effect which leaves growth in London cycling stagnant.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Tynan said:
the swerving in and out of lanes at sudden speed

esp when they do it into a narrow cycle lanes approaching Southwark Bridge
I'm not sure what difference allowing motorcycles into bus lanes will make on those using cycle lanes illegally ...

Personally I'm prepared to reserve judgement on the trial until it is in effect.

Ben

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
GrahamG said:
Yet another thread which ignores what I think is a very important point that has been missing from all debate on this:

What effect will it have on perception of safety?

London (and most other places) are trying to increase levels of cycling dramatically - if the perception of people who might be pursuaded/are inclined to consider cycling is that the motorcycles make it more dangerous - this might seriously go against the grain on a strategic policy level. Nobody seems to have explored the potential of its affect on opinion and the potential for something like this to have a knock on effect which leaves growth in London cycling stagnant.

ISTR Spinners raised this point many times previously.

Jake

It's going to be carnage. How can it ease congestion? are motorbikes holding up the traffic?

And who said bloody taxis are allowed into ASL (Advance Stop Lines). they seem to feel its their god given right, the same as MB's. grrrrr

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Jake said:
How can it ease congestion?
The thinking is that it will make commuting by motorcycle significantly quicker than commuting by car and thus encourage people to switch.

Ben

Jake

Do people think it will? i don't myself. What types of people commute by car and why do they do so? oh well, just have to wait to see what happens i guess.

LLB

Ben Lovejoy said:
The thinking is that it will make commuting by motorcycle significantly quicker than commuting by car and thus encourage people to switch.

Ben

Commuting by motorcycle is already significantly quicker by m/cycle than it is by car (or cycle over larger distances). The benefits are that it will be safer over these stretches for m/cycles, and this is the primary reason for pushing it forward.

Top Bottom