Motorbikes in cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
cannondale boy said:
Had a incident today while driving the works van. I indicated left to go on to the main road, before indicating left to park i looked at my right mirror and rear mirror, (As i alawys do). No vehicles or motorbikes behind me so i was safe to park...funny thing was i looked at my mirror say 2 seconds before i parked and a motorbike was right up my rear, he went past me slowly just to say i was in the right and you were in the wrong. There was a passer by that seen the bike going way over 30, the guy thought he was probably doing 40. I have nothing wrong with motorbikes or any other vehicle as long as they stick to the rules of the road, which a small percentage don't.

A few years ago I was driving home from work late at night, going down Seven Sisters road in North London and needed to change lanes. I looked in all my mirrors, nothing around so indicated and moved left into my desired lane when "Voooooommmm" Some twat on a motorbike missed my left hand front wing by milimetres going what I think was well over seventy miles an hour (it is a busy urban street, 30mph limit). I quite literally almost threw up with the shock. xx(:tongue:!

Tynan

Veteran
you're blaming his speed for that?

depends where on Seven Sisters Road but it's very speed cameraed up these days isn' it?

he probably didn't care for your lane change either

Sadly Dom I've done it as well. In traffic, late at night, street lights and head lights but the speed, or acceleration, of motorcycles have caught me out - luckily without serious consequence. I really beat myself up when it has happened as I've ridden motorbikes for over 35 years and like to believe that I "think bike", both powered and pedalled.

Alternative scenario xx((can't find a Tongue in Cheek smiley)
I seem to remember that incident being discussed at length on a motorcycle forum. Something about a cager, late in the evening, who pulled left in front of a motorcycle who narrowly missed serious injury. The biker actually did throw up inside his helmet in shock. After a lot of discussion it was put down to one of those "looked but didn't see" things that all 2 wheelers are affected by. Surely wouldn't have happened if the cager had been a cyclist or biker.

DOM

You were there and we weren't.

Top Bottom