Motorbikes in cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emu

Carwash said:
Slightly OT: Are mopeds allowed in cycle paths/cycle lanes?

The bus lanes Logan mentioned in Streatham are legally accessible to motorbikes - nice picture of a motorbike on the blue sign alongside the bicyle piccy. And the specific cycle lane bit only has rboken white lane I think so do these "cycle lanes" count for anything anyway?

cupoftea

Anyone is allowed to use a cycle lane if it has a broken white line, it's only advisory

Carwash

Señor Member
Thanks for the answers so far - much appreciated. I was thinking also of dedicated or shared-use cycle paths though - that is, not just on roads. What's the status of mopeds and scooters there? (BTW - I don't have a moped or a scooter, nor any intention of getting one. My question is purely out of curiosity!)

John Ponting said:
I've ridden motorbikes for over 40 years - cycle lanes are for bicycles NOT motorbikes.

I seem to have been asleep most of the day!!

I replied to the thread title "motorcycles in cycle lane" but have reread and the complaint seems to be about sharing a Bus Lane with Cycles and Motorcycles? I have no problems with that if it is legal.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Had a incident today while driving the works van. I indicated left to go on to the main road, before indicating left to park i looked at my right mirror and rear mirror, (As i alawys do). No vehicles or motorbikes behind me so i was safe to park...funny thing was i looked at my mirror say 2 seconds before i parked and a motorbike was right up my rear, he went past me slowly just to say i was in the right and you were in the wrong. There was a passer by that seen the bike going way over 30, the guy thought he was probably doing 40. I have nothing wrong with motorbikes or any other vehicle as long as they stick to the rules of the road, which a small percentage don't.

I#ve never had this kind of problem with motorbikes, and he definitely lost me when he mentioned that he RLJ's.

Sounds like an overly opinionated, "me first" kinda guy to me. Cyclists like him shouldn't be allowed to slew motorists against cyclists with this dri

Thank you bonj, my computer crashed as I was posting.

yello

Many seem to be complaining about how the motorbike is ridden in the bus lane rather than the motorbike being there per se. I saw twonks on cycles too.

Personally, I had no problem with it.

I think one of the biggest problems with it yello, is that at the moment in most places, bus lanes are a nice wide area of relative sanctuary for cyclists. This is a space that is a most welcome escape from crowded traffic hustling along, and putting a fast moving mode of transport in there too completely defeats it.

skut

I have been pondering the reason why Black Cabs are allowed in Bus Lanes for a long time now. I think the answer must be that they pull over to the curb quite often to drop off/pick up passengers. So if it was banned and they ever got caught they could just say they wer doing that.

Am quite tempted to submit an FOI request to TFL to find out what consultation process was undertaken before that decision was made. Likewise with m/bikes.

PS I got doored by a taxi (passenger) who didn't pull over to the curb once. I was in the bus lane.

yello

Bus lanes are designed primarily for buses. They weren't intended as a sanctuary for cyclists, or motor cyclists for that matter. So being shared use, I think we should all play nicely together. The fact that some motorcyclists do not show consideration for cyclists does not mean that they should all be thrown out.

Tynan

Veteran
there's self-gratification artists on scooters just as there are on bikes

a scooter/bike is well balanced and nippy and in touch with the surroundings and conditions and as such has far more in common with bikes than cars and trucks

blame the riders/drivers, not the vehicle

Top Bottom