Motorbikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I’m watching a recording of Le Samyn and literally curling my toes as motorbikes, at speed, squeeze through the smallest of gaps by the riders with zero margin for a swerve say.
Did I hear that motorbike riders have had extra training recently? I’m not sure it worked!

There's a lot more to passing your Bike test today than back in the '80's.

If you want to ride a bike of any size as early as possible you need to take no less than 8 different tests if you include the CBT.

Whether that makes you a better rider is down to the individual but I would imagine it reduces the amount of younger riders on the road and judging by the average age at any given bike meet I think this is true.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I’m watching a recording of Le Samyn and literally curling my toes as motorbikes, at speed, squeeze through the smallest of gaps by the riders with zero margin for a swerve say.
Did I hear that motorbike riders have had extra training recently? I’m not sure it worked!
Sometimes the camera foreshortens the space, but also the motos and cars are definitely ridden/driven by idiots at times.

T.M.H.N.E.T

If you want to ride a bike of any size as early as possible you need to take no less than 8 different tests if you include the CBT.

Whether that makes you a better rider is down to the individual but I would imagine it reduces the amount of younger riders on the road and judging by the average age at any given bike meet I think this is true.
Post totally unrelated to motos at Le Samyn:laugh:

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

I guess standard road riding is very different to riding within a cycle race (although I take your point about more would stand for something). I think common sense would be a big factor and you can’t teach that. If the group of riders is clearly progressing to the left of the road - don’t squeeze through the gap on the left of the road!!!

Also, in another race recently a guy who was racing (i.e. not a back marker) was pretty much forced off his preferred line by a motorbike trying to get through, that isn’t right (I am aware the marshall bikes have to make progress but this was a case of wait a few seconds and all would be well).

They don’t appear to account for pedestrians entering the course in large gaps between groups of riders either - make pace but some accelerate and ride at alarming speeds!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I guess standard road riding is very different to riding within a cycle race (although I take your point about more would stand for something). I think common sense would be a big factor and you can’t teach that. If the group of riders is clearly progressing to the left of the road - don’t squeeze through the gap on the left of the road!!!
I thought Race Direction told support vehicles when to pass and it's normally on the left in right-hand-traffic countries. I don't know if they incur the wrath of the director and possibly getting sanctioned or booted off races if they don't pass when they are told to? I think only the TV motorbikes have much freedom to position themselves.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought the fella asked if 'Motorbike riders had extra training recently' so I explained that they had.

I didn't really know what he was referring to, oh well, at least it gave you a laugh.
You might like to keep an eye on the bit above the post title that says "Cycling Sport: Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)" to give you more context in future.

T.M.H.N.E.T

I thought Race Direction told support vehicles when to pass and it's normally on the left in right-hand-traffic countries. I don't know if they incur the wrath of the director and possibly getting sanctioned or booted off races if they don't pass when they are told to? I think only the TV motorbikes have much freedom to position themselves.
They're under direction but as seen a lot in past years a lot of moto pilots have zero clue on how to ride with cyclists, nor how fast they are.

The UCI are too busy measuring saddle angles and sock heights to give a stuff

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

There didn’t appear a lot of ‘direction’ in this race!

Digressing slightly ...
there must be a lot of 6th sense from the riders. Or unwritten etiquette. Because I often see the motos in crazy places in/around the bunch, but the riders avoid them effortlessly (despite doing full-gas leadouts at 30mph).

Accidents seem pretty rare, considering the chaotic appearance on TV. (I think the last DNF was from Alaphillipe rear-ending a moto in the autumn Tour of Flanders??)

Would make a good interview topic for some recent ex-pros.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are a couple of things I hate about watching road racing. One of them is the apparent self-importance that motorcycles and support cars display as they weave and wend their way through the race. Sometimes you have more cars on-screen than bikes. I get that it is how it is and those involved are largely well-versed in it all, but there are some famous (and, no doubt, less well-known) incidents where riders have been punted off by a vehicle.

The other peave is the brazen littering of bidons, but that is for another thread.

Top Bottom