Motorcycle chain oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I use a high quality chain oil (Wurth High Performance) on my motorcycle, will it be ok to use the same on my pushbike chain without any adverse effects
I'm no expert on this but there are a few people here who use chain saw oil on their chains so I reckon it'll do the job. Whether it'll make you as fast as a motorbike will depend on the motor....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
within reason any old lightish oil will be fine. I use car engine oil because I've a half-gallon the wrong grade for my current car. Chain oil will obviously be fine

Catweasel

Great timing OP, I was wondering exactly the same thing - although I just use cheap and cheerful chain lube on my motorbike.....which reminds me..

Brandane

Legendary Member
I like my pedal bikes too, but no way are they getting treated to my good motorbike chain lube! Apart from the cost factor, my motorbike lube is a spray application which is just going to go all over the place (including the braking surface of the wheel rims) on a pedal bike. Motorbike chain lube also has "anti fling" properties to help it stick to the chain rather than just fly off because of the G forces generated by a high speed rotation. That stickiness on a bicycle chain would reduce my average speed by about 0.001 mph. And I'm slow enough as it is. No, I will stick with cheap and cheerful thin viscosity stuff out of a drip applicator for the pedal bikes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wiping off excess oil is the key. If you can pop some in a dropper bottle, all the better. You only need a drop on each roller. The chain plates don't need oil as they will get oil on them from rotational forces. Keeping the chain well wiped is essential.

Top Bottom