Motorcyclists in Cycle Lanes?? *Warning some Ranting*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LBT

So I commute into London and part of my journey includes the Embankment stretch from Tower Bridge down to Trav. Square which has been horrendous recently with all the palava of building cycle lanes - which I'm totally for in this part of London by the way.
Down this particular stretch over the last year, I've seen many heated arguments between cyclist and Motorist's, the tension seems to be getting worse as the road works come to an end - I was nearly run down by a baffooon of a motorcyclist revving down the (soon to be replaced) cycle lane today who was hurling abuse at me for being 'in the road' and not in the unfinished cycle lane...
He passed me dangerously through the traffic, I caught up to him at the traffic lights (he got so far ahead...) only for another argument to break out which is when I was told that it was my (I'm assuming he meant cyclists) fault there was traffic and that the cycle lane is for both Cyclists and Motorbikes to 'filter' through (is that not undertaking on his part!?) he then began to get more personal about me being female which I won't even begin to go in to - scowling my face as I write this! I'm pretty certain his argument is null and void however after searching numerous forums I can't see anywhere that states motorbikes are definitly not allowed in the cycle lanes? Does anyone know the answer to this? I know the liklihood of seeing the same guy again is close to never however I'll take some satisfaction in knowing that I was right and won the argument!

Drago

Legendary Member
Stick your pump in his front wheel as he flies past...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So I commute into London and part of my journey includes the Embankment stretch from Tower Bridge down to Trav. Square which has been horrendous recently with all the palava of building cycle lanes - which I'm totally for in this part of London by the way.
Down this particular stretch over the last year, I've seen many heated arguments between cyclist and Motorist's, the tension seems to be getting worse as the road works come to an end - I was nearly run down by a baffooon of a motorcyclist revving down the (soon to be replaced) cycle lane today who was hurling abuse at me for being 'in the road' and not in the unfinished cycle lane...
He passed me dangerously through the traffic, I caught up to him at the traffic lights (he got so far ahead...) only for another argument to break out which is when I was told that it was my (I'm assuming he meant cyclists) fault there was traffic and that the cycle lane is for both Cyclists and Motorbikes to 'filter' through (is that not undertaking on his part!?) he then began to get more personal about me being female which I won't even begin to go in to - scowling my face as I write this! I'm pretty certain his argument is null and void however after searching numerous forums I can't see anywhere that states motorbikes are definitly not allowed in the cycle lanes? Does anyone know the answer to this? I know the liklihood of seeing the same guy again is close to never however I'll take some satisfaction in knowing that I was right and won the argument!

You are over-thinking this. The man is clearly an arse, so it's pointless trying to unpick his arguments and you'll just wind yourself more. Hard to realise this at the time when you're understandably cross, but now, afterwards, spending time working out if he had some kind of point (unlikely) amongst the talkjng bollocks is futile

Drago

Legendary Member
Why not just ignore the guy? If we stressed out about every pecker we encountered we'd either be dead from heart failure by 30, or mutate into Twaffic Dwoid or the boy wonder.

Lonestar

Veteran
I used to cycle that bit and I do remember it happening...Too bad.

People make up the rules to suit themselves an example being RLJers and cyclists/motorists going the wrong way up one way streets....Roupell Street near Waterloo is a fine example.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happens in Manchester too, motorbikes using cycle lanes. They know they shouldn't but do. The odd one I've caught up doing this, I come flying up behind them and sit right on them till they realise they shouldn't be there and pull into the traffic, then I fly past.

I am not sure if there is a misunderstanding or a recent change in enforcement but I have noticed motorcyclists lining up in ASL more frequently now then before. OP might be on to something.

Tom B

Guru
If it's a solid line lane, then http://highwaycode.info/rule/140 is a MUST NOT and there is no exception in the "Rules for Motorcyclists" section.

tl;dr: you were right.

I was going to mention the difference between the solid and broken lines.
The only solid line i can think of around here is on a bit of road about 200yrs long where the only way between two quality off road cyclepaths is via the road. The to the left of the cycle path is the pavement which is raised about 2ft up from the road (so you dont want to get squashed against it). Two thirds the way along the road is a right turn, drivers dive into cycle lane without looking or thinking to go around/undertake right turning cars. GRRRRRrrrr

Top Bottom