Motoring fuel bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today I had to buy fuel for my car. It made me realise that this was the first time since before Christmas.
As a result, I looked back with the aid of my accounting software and discovered that in the twelve months to date, we’ve spent £535.67 on fuel.

In the prior twelve months we spent £1796.26 and in the year before that (I.e. April 2019 to April 2020) £2241.21

That’s improved our carbon footprint. I wondered how others have been affected?

DRM

Guru
I filled the van up on Wednesday afternoon, put just over half a tank in it today as there would have been enough to get to the first job Monday but not enough to get back, saves messing about getting fuel to get home, plus I get my BP points x2 win win :okay:

gavgav

Guru
Not sure on cost, it’s much less than normal, as mileage wise I’ve done approx 2300 miles in the car during the 12 months since 23rd March, when the first lockdown was enforced and normal previous average is 8500/9000.

Almost done a similar amount on the bike, at just over 2100.

D

Deleted member 1258

Mileage is well down, I've gone from putting 10 litres of fuel in the car a week to putting 10 litres in a fortnight. I think I did more miles on the bike last year than I did in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I barely used my car in the past year. Currently having an argument in my head as to whether i really need one. Its that argument of, what happens if i need to be somewhere at 2am, such as family emergency? Of course that is rare. But still... Either way, usage is way down....

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I wasn't going to potholes county every few weeks and not going to work anymore, my fuel bill would be a lot less hence going down to one car in our household once my wife is back in Wales for good, soon I hope.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I had the MOT done on my car in mid March 2020 and again in mid March 2021 - the recorded mileage between them was 3900. Most of this was done between the lifting of lockdown 1 and the re-imposition of restrictions in October 2020 getting to Brands Hatch, Snetterton & Donington Park as much as possible.

From Christmas to the end of March this year the only driving I've done has been a 20 mile round trip up the A14 once a fortnight to keep some charge in the battery.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Normally we're doing 4-500 miles a week with racing and training. Apart from bits in July/August it's been minimal. As a result my car's done 11,000 miles less in the past year.

At a broad guess it's saved over £5000 in fuel/ maintenance not including race entries / accommodation / repairs.

However SWMBO has been working all hours on a Covid ward plus elsewhere in the NHS so her commuting is up by about 1,000 miles. As a treat her car's had all the exterior dents/scratches done (£500), an interior valet and new plates to rejuvenate her Honda Jazz. Her costs are probably about £1,000 more as a result.

toffee

Guru
Normally do about 20k a year, however in the last year it was down to 7k. Car is still as dirty though as it has not had its yearly wash.
S

Top Bottom