Motoring fuel bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
We’ve got family scattered all over the UK so I can’t see giving up the car as an option. Certainly questioning the need to run two. In the past that was an operational convenience but not really justified any more.

Will be interesting to see how things change this year if the resumption of normality actually happens. Be a different normal methinks

PaulB

Legendary Member
I don't drive.

Having been told to avoid using trains and buses due to Covid-19, my total spending on transport since January 2020 has been £0.00 (rounded up to the nearest penny! :okay:)...

I have hardly been anywhere, and where I have been to I went to on foot or by bicycle.
Yeah but where you live, you'd rarely need to go anywhere else! Yorkshire address apart, it's as near to perfect as you'd get on this island.

When I got the MOT done in Febuary I was amazed to find that I had done about the same mileage as I had the previous 12 months - about 4000.

Most of that was to and from Tesco - with other journeys for family reasons (long story involving kids and hospitals).

My wife doesn't drive so we only have 1 car and I can't it being very practical to do without one - in spite of having 2 ebikes!

My annual mileage is down at least 4,230 miles since March last year as I now WFH so don’t commute. I’ve gone as far as selling my commute car and now down to 1 family car which averages 12,000 miles but that is down as my wife also works from home now saving a further 1,000 miles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yeah but where you live, you'd rarely need to go anywhere else! Yorkshire address apart, it's as near to perfect as you'd get on this island.
I am pretty much on the 'border' between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

It was great going out on my bike early in the pandemic. The roads were as quiet as they were when I cycled as a child 55 years ago. Now though there is even more traffic than normal. My peaceful daytime valley rides are finished. If I fancy going straight up a 15% climb from a cold start, fine! :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
It's not changed for me at all, worked all the way through, the only plus was when unleaded dropped significantly during the first lockdown £1.03 ltr I think, that saved me a bit. Around 150 miles a week commuting so it costs me around £35 a week normally.
I'd usually be looking to cycle to work once or twice a week, an hour each way but my hips hurt too much after so I cant even look forward to that.

byegad

Legendary Member
Our brand new car, bought late September 2020 has done 1270 miles. I can't claim to have done them all. It had 9 on it when I took delivery.
As Lady Byegad is currently not driving, following her brain abscess. We were expecting to see annual mileage go up from our previous normal 8k/annum to 10 or 12k. Because I'd be taking her to see friends shop etc, then to go back for her later.
The old car had covered 8k/yr until Covid. From March 2020 to September it covered under 1600 miles, mostly because we were popping through to the RVI Newcastle, for MRIs and to the Physio-terrorists until Covid put paid to them seeing her.

Hopefully we will be able to get out and about after Jabs #2 +3 weeks. So while we won't be back to normal miles-wise or socially we hope to go places and see things.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
3000 miles between MOT's - normal driving/commuting Feb and March, then caravan for 3 months July-September, then nothing until the MOT in January.

The car isn't liking the short trips/sitting still all week. At least it will be getting runs to the caravan from this weekend. Still no news on when we might start to go back to the office - I suspect to odd day from September.

My sister has been told maybe once a month going forward. The lease of their Deansgate Manchester office has been let go.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
normally a tank of £45-50 lasts us nearly 2 months and we do around 4000 miles a year which is mostly mrs ck pootling on scholl runs and shopping etc so fuel economy isn't the best .I occasionally use it for work if the weather is too dicey then it gets runs to brum for hospital stuff and the once or twice a year to the coast .
In comparison i did 6700 on the bike last year

Tribansman

Veteran
I'm pretty fortunate in that I can commute by bike when I'm back in the office, and my other half has a car. So I took the plunge last year and got rid of mine. Saved a fair bit on insurance, servicing (it was 15 years old) and fuel and replaced all the little trips I'd sometimes do in the car with the bike or walking. Lockdown's obviously helped with that, and we still have a car for long trips and ferrying our lad around - although he's pretty good and cycles with me a lot.

Obviously would have been a much tougher decision to get rid of our only car, and my other half currently needs that for her commute as it's not cycle, train or bus friendly, and it's also good to have so I can go up and see my family who live 200 miles away. But I'd say our overall car use is about 1/5th of what it was pre covid

DRM

Guru
My own car has only done just over 1000 miles since the MOT in the beginning of November last year, whereas the work van has done 3,500 since the mot in mid March this year!

My bike has done more KM's than my wives car in the last 12 months although for me personally i've switched from some train and plane journeys to using my car, hence still 30k KM over the last 12 months for business.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Managed a whooping 2500 miles in the last year, pretty normal as the bike takes me most places. That said, our campervan went in August last year, and that tends to build the bulk of our driving miles.

Top Bottom